The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Ch. Musar Rouge 2005

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Ch. Musar Rouge 2005

by Saina » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:27 pm

Chateau Musar Rouge 2005 - Biq'a-valley, Lebanon; 14% abv
A relatively cool vintage for Musar with harvest 10 days later than normal. And the wine is lovely: more volatility than Musar has had in recent years and lovely bright but red fruit, spicy and leathery and slightly funky - so it is exactly what I hope to see in a Musar. It is sweet and ripe despite the relatively cool summer, but it is also wonderfully fresh and very lively with delightfully high acidity and a fair bit of bite from the tannins as well (I usually find even young Musars more acid than tannin driven in the structure department). I like this a lot! And unlike some notes I've seen on this wine, I did not find it atypical at all - very much the opposite: it did exactly what it says on the tin.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Ben Rotter

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:59 pm

Sydney, Australia (currently)

Re: WTN: Ch. Musar Rouge 2005

by Ben Rotter » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:57 am

I am very glad to hear this, thanks Otto. It seems like recent releases of Musar have less VA, less funk, and are less likely to show Bretty notes. It's a relief to hear the 2005 at has some volatility, funk and noticable grip.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: Ch. Musar Rouge 2005

by Saina » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Ben Rotter wrote:I am very glad to hear this, thanks Otto. It seems like recent releases of Musar have less VA, less funk, and are less likely to show Bretty notes. It's a relief to hear the 2005 at has some volatility, funk and noticable grip.

Yes I thought so, too. But now I'm a bit worried because many people whose tastes I trust in Musar have had rather different views, some even saying that it lacks these essential Musarian components. And it seems to be an unusually divisive year with quite a few being disappointed with it and several, myself included, who found it very attractive.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.