The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Chapouter Mt. Benson Shiraz

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 1998 Chapouter Mt. Benson Shiraz

by Jenise » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:34 pm

Curious about what Chapoutier might do different in the land of Oz, I picked up a bottle of this not long ago.

Wish I hadn't: an initial nose of fungus, animal fur and plastic, and on the palate berries and pine needle delivered in an unexpected wallop of acid. With time the plastic faded a little and some mushroom-loamy flavor arrived, but that's relatively unimportant because ultimately the pine turned into pickle and the acid grew fake-tasting and too annoying, even with food. We gave up after a glass. Very poor effort.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

Re: WTN: 1998 Chapouter Mt. Benson Shiraz

by Doug Surplus » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:54 pm

Wow! What a difference from what I tasted in this wine (Robin also reviewed it) a while back. I didn't do a tasting note but remember Robin's take on it being similar to mine. I had bought a bottle on the recco of the store owner and went back and bought him out as it was $14 for a $38 wine. I have 6 left so I'll open one tonite and see what's happening with them.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:15 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this wine didn't show better younger when big fruit might have masked the acidity, but I didn't detect any of what might be bottle-variation flaws except, perhaps, that initial plastic note. But whether that's there or why it's there doesn't change the wine's bigget problem, the acidity. 98's not exactly a vintage one would expect that from; I suspect it's not natural. Report back, would you?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:33 am

Yuck! Tonight I got burnt rubber on the nose and it tasted like it along with kind of a medicine flavor that could be the pine needles you reported. Definitely was not a wine to last more than a couple of years. When I got in 2002 it was very nice, decent tannins (help up to grilled steak very well) and balanced acidity. I will have to cautiously go through the remaining five bottles, but make sure to a have a backup.

And a backup can be problematic too. Tonight my backup was an 01 Rocks and Gravel that was not up to par - first bad bottle out of a case. It had that prickly hint of secondary fermentation and lacked the intoxicating aromas of flowers, meat and fruit that I associate with Steve's blends. I hope this was just a bad bottle and not a portent of what's happening with the the other 9 bottles I have left.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:45 am

I'm no expert on wine faults, but it sounds as if there could be a selection in here, as well as some oxidation. Sounds quite dreadful.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:57 am

Doug, our descriptions aren't identical, but that's a matter of degrees since our conclusions are the same: the wine is tanking. I'm especially sorry that your bottle(s) didn't turn out better than mine since you have half a dozen left.