The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some New Reds...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some New Reds...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:24 pm

We tried tonight (12/12/12) Some New Reds:
1. LaMadone Gamay sur Volcan AC: Cotes du Forez/Loire (Organic grapes; 11.5%) EURL Gilles
Bonnefey 2007
: Med.light color; rather earthy/dusty strong strawberry/Gamay/spicy/cinammon quite
attractive nose some like Bone-Jolly w/ slight brett/smokey character; light bit tannic/hard pretty/
strawberry/Gamay rather earthy/dusty flavor; fairly long hard/tannic pretty/Gamay/strawberry some
earthy/dusty finish; quite an attractive nose but somewhat agressive tannins on the palate; nice enough
Gamay for $8.00 (WoP)
med. bright/light/strawberry/Gamay some earthy/dusty racy finish w/ little tannins; a bit funky/unclean
on the nose but quite pretty/attractive on the palate; way/way overpriced. $42.00 (BWM)
loamy quite Pinotish finish w/ light tannins; a lighweight pleasant enough wine that speaks of Valle
d'Aosta or Swiss Pinot. $22.00 (WE)
cherry/strawberry/candied/pepperminty light earthy/dusty finish w/ light tannins; this is what Loire Gamay
would be if it could; quite a pretty/drinkable Gamay-like red. $18.00 (vRT)
bananna slight loamy nose; soft strong blackberry/boysenberry/Syrah-like fairly smooth/polished some toasty/oak
flavor w/ a bit of a tannic bite; very long bit tannic/hard strong blackberry/Syrah-ike some toasty/oak
finish; a rather attractive wine in an international style at a very good price. $13.00 (BWM)
horsecollar rather pleasant flavor; med.long bright/zippy/raspberry/plummy/grapey very Zin-like/spicy finish
w/ light tannins; slightly funky/unclean but a very Zin-like red. $19.00 (VintageBerkeley)
cherry/cola/boysenberry light toasty/smokey/oak finish w/ modest tannins; a rather attractive/interesting
red. $30.00 (vSC)
loamy finish; underneath an interesting wine but the oak seems to dominate everything. $30.00 (vSC)
Sangio/cherry cough syrup/cherry cola finish w/ modest hard/tannins; bit more lean and angular than the other
MorrisonLanes; speaks strongly of Sangio; quite an attractive rendition of Sangio. $30.00 (vSC)
flavor; med.long some herbal/rosemary/dried Italian herbs pleasant/floral/violets/lilacs slight pungent/tarry
fairly hard/tannic finish; some very attractive floral aromatics but classic Nebb tannins and needs some age;
pretty classic Nebb in character but not of Barolo/Barbaresco. $30.00 (vSC)
somewhat hard/tannic flavor; med.long hard/tannic very tart almost schreechy some herbal/blackberry/Syrah/
dusty finish w/ some gritty/chalky tannins; needs some time in btl. $35.00
tannic/hard slight toasty/oak flavor; very long very spicy strong blueberry/Syrah/blackberry some floral/
violets bit tannic/hard light toasty/oak finish w/ fair tannins; needs some age yet; a bit like SteveEdmunds
Syrahs w/o the earthy component of ElDoradoCnty; quite an interesting Syrah at a more than fair price. $26.00
tannins; very long intense blackberry/boysenberry/framboise/Syrah light pungent/licorice bit toasty/oak
some floral/violets finish w/ smooth/modest tannins; more floral/high-toned notes than most WashState Syrahs;
quite a lovely Syrah and my favorite of the MorrisonLanes. $30.00 (vSC)
intense blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry/earthy/plummy some toasty/charred/oak finish w/ some fine-grained tannins;
can use several yrs yet; big huge fruit but not over-the-top our out of balance. $42.00
up to WashState often to check them out. He visited their (very retro) tasting room in WallaWalla and liked what
he tried and ordered some for us to try. They focus a lot on some fairly unusual varieties (for WashState). Alas,
their WebSite (www.MorrisonLane.com) is a bit lacking in information...like prices and availability.
Overall...I liked their wines. Solid/well-made/interesting wines that reminded me a bit of some of the (late)
McCrea wines. The Syrah was my easy favorite. I also thought the Nebbiolo, of particular interest to me, was as
good as any I've been tasting from Calif. Definitely a wnry I need to keep track of.
atypical Calif Syrah. A "wine of balance"??? I suppose if your definition is a wine that is lower in alcohol,
then I suppose it is. But I certainly wouldn't describe it as "balanced". The acidity was almost screechy on
the palate. The tannins were lean/hard/gritty...almost like a young Nebbiolo. One can only hope that this wine
will come into balance w/ bottle age. I suspect it will be very interesting Syrah somewhere down the road.
Sometimes you just gotta believe. Sometimes...your guesses/instincts are totally wrong, though. We shall see.
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

Re: WTN: Some New Reds...(long/boring)

by Florida Jim » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:39 pm

Tom,
While I don't get the charred note you did, I do get oak smells and flavors in my wine. Curiously, the barrels it was in are 7 year old French oak and were medium toast at inception.
Which confirms my rather unpopular view that oak barrels are not "neutral" until much later in life - my guess is twenty years or thereabouts.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:28 am

TomHill wrote:1. MorrisonLane: Run by Dean & Verdie Morrison, long-time farmers in WallaWalla. A wnry I had never heard of until I
got a request to add them to our NEB (Nebbiolo Enthusiasts & Believers) e-mail list. I asked a friend who travels
up to WashState often to check them out. He visited their (very retro) tasting room in WallaWalla and liked what
he tried and ordered some for us to try. They focus a lot on some fairly unusual varieties (for WashState). Alas,
their WebSite (http://www.MorrisonLane.com) is a bit lacking in information...like prices and availability.
Overall...I liked their wines. Solid/well-made/interesting wines that reminded me a bit of some of the (late)
McCrea wines. The Syrah was my easy favorite. I also thought the Nebbiolo, of particular interest to me, was as
good as any I've been tasting from Calif. Definitely a wnry I need to keep track of.

One of my favorite wineries to visit when I'm in Walla Walla because of their emphasis on unconventional grapes (that they grow themselves at their own vineyard, which is often not the case in WW) and because Dean is quite a character. I had their 2003 Nebbiolo a few months ago and very much enjoyed it, though as you note it is not a Barolo/Barbaresco clone. I've also enjoyed their Counoise and Carmenere.

TomHill wrote:3. Cornalin: A variety indigenous to the Valle d'Aosta and now almost extinct there, with only 1 ha in plantings.
More plantings in the Swiss Valais where it's known as HumagneRouge. This btl came to me from RobTebeau.
Tom

Just had my first Cornalin ever, a 2010 from Elio Ottin, ordered in a Milan restaurant for 22 Euros. Loved it! A bit more oomph than many Gamays but in the same bright, complex spectrum, and a perfect accompaniment to brasato with sauteed porcinis and polenta.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:05 pm

Florida Jim wrote:Tom,
While I don't get the charred note you did, I do get oak smells and flavors in my wine. Curiously, the barrels it was in are 7 year old French oak and were medium toast at inception.
Which confirms my rather unpopular view that oak barrels are not "neutral" until much later in life - my guess is twenty years or thereabouts.
Best, Jim

Hey Jim...saw your Syrah at Arlequin in SF!

I will give it a try. Hopefully the oak will integrate with a couple of years!
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach