The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Preston Marsanne '91...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Preston Marsanne '91...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:32 pm

Tried this this afternoon..a throwaway that was much better than expected:
1. PrestonVnyds Marsanne EB/DryCreekVlly (14.4%; FirstHarvest) 1991: Med.dark gold/brown color; strong valve oil/toasted hazelnuts/nutty/ozone/pungent bit charred/smokey complex nose; fairly tart some honeyed/valve oil/pungent/ozone somewhat toasted hazelnuts/smokey slight oxidized slight metallic/steely/tinny interesting/complex flavor; med.short metallic/steely rather toasted hazelnuts/smokey bit oxidized/nutty light honeyed/pungent finish; a very interesting old Marsanne still in good drinking shape.
1. When LouPreston started making wines under his own label back in the late '70's, he made some terrific wines...as good as anything as being made in the DryCreekVlly. Followed him from the very start..I did/I did. He was one of the early proponents of Rhone varietals in Calif. The bread he bakes is some of the best I've had. I've not kept up w/ his wines of late. Last time I visited their tasting room, I was pretty underwhelmed across the board and have not looked back. Kinda sad.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Preston Marsanne '91...(short/boring)

by Jenise » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Did you deliberately hang onto that bottle for so long, or was it one of those happy accidents?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Hmmmm....

by TomHill » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:59 pm

Jenise wrote:Did you deliberately hang onto that bottle for so long, or was it one of those happy accidents?

Hmmmmm, Jenise...this is a rather personal question. Do you have any memory of FibberMcGee's closet??? That's
sorta like my house. I can go around and "discover" a case of treasures anywhere in my house. This came from one
of those cases.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:09 pm

So, more of a wine hoarder than a wine collector? ;)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well...

by TomHill » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:58 pm

Jenise wrote:So, more of a wine hoarder than a wine collector? ;)

Well...never been called that before, Jenise..but....yeah. If the shoe fits...wear it, I guess.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Well...

by Jenise » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 pm

TomHill wrote:
Jenise wrote:So, more of a wine hoarder than a wine collector? ;)

Well...never been called that before, Jenise..but....yeah. If the shoe fits...wear it, I guess.
Tom

Could work out to your advantage, Tom. 'Hoarder', per the newly overhauled and published DSM, now establishes hoarding as a psychological disease. You might be able to get "help" for your problem! (Like, more racks and inventory control. :) )
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Hmmm. I guess I should defer to your palate, Tom. We enjoyed our visit last summer quite a bit.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach