The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1997 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montepulciano

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

WTN: 1997 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montepulciano

by Dave Moritz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:35 am

The Riserva Grandi Annate bottling. 13% alc. Imported by Classica USA. About $26 US several years ago.

Did not decant. A nice, red fruit bouquet upon opening. Scents of ripe red cherry dominate with just a hint of meaty aroma. Solid garnet color all the way to the rim. On the palate, it revealed a very nice mouth feel. The plump, very ripe cherry fruit flavors came across as a one-note symphony with just a hint of oak playing a bit part. I also detected a touch of salty minerality. Not bad length on the finish. A pleasant enough drink, perhaps better suited to a party of non-wine geeks. QPR? Nothing to write home about, but one could do worse.

I dug up some other reviews on this. Most really panned this wine as being too New Worldy. If you have this, try holding on for another year or three - something more interesting and savory might yet come of it.

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: WTN: 1997 Avignonesi Vino Nobile di Montepulciano

by Ian Sutton » Sat Nov 18, 2006 7:40 am

Dave
A very good price - I think it's much more these days. I've got a bottle of the 99 loitering in the cellar and this encourages me to remain disciplined in leaving it there for a good while yet
regards
Ian
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:17 pm

When I saw a bottle of this in town the other day, vintage 01 I think, I paused to wonder why so familiar a name was still such a stranger to me in real wine experience. Didn't buy...probably should have just to have Biblical knowledge. But I did buy two bottles of this producer's chardonnay since I'm low on whites, attracted by the only-12% alcohol as much as anything. Ever had it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Baraboo, WI

by Dave Moritz » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:06 pm

Yes, Ian, it will likely reward patience.

And Jenise: no, I've not had their chardonnay but would certainly give it a try out of curiosity. And finally your comment on "Biblical knowledge." Is this a figure of speach, or does Avignonesi figure in the good book in some parable I'm not familiar with?

Thanks!

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:30 pm

Dave, the term 'Biblical knowledge' is taken from the way in which the Bible spoke of sexual relations. It differentiates merely having information from having real experience, which certainly applies to me and this wine!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Baraboo, WI

by Dave Moritz » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:47 pm

Jenise:

Ah, yes. I'm a little slow on the uptake. Thanks!

Dave Mo