The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some Rhones From The Archives...(long/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Some Rhones From The Archives...(long/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:33 pm

We tasted last week (1/2/13) some Rhones from the Archives:
1. Dom.Grand Romane AC: Gigondas (MeBaD; 13.5%) 1989: Med.dark w/ fair bricking; rather earthy/dusty slight smokey/cedary/
tobaccoy/old red no fruit somewhat tired nose; soft bit roasted/cedary/old red rather astringent/tired/dried out bit
metallic/tangy rather earthy flavor; pretty much over the hill but not really bad.
dried out/astringent finish; in its youth, this was a highly toasty/oaked modern-style wine; the oak is still pretty
flagrant.
shows a bit of sweet fruit and not oxidized tasting but pretty dead/tired. $26.00
med.short smooth/delicate slight cedary/smokey light strawberry/Grenache some complex finish w/ light tannins; not
particularly dried out or tired but just a faded red that's a shadow of its former glory.
funky/wet wool/mushroomy light cedary/old red/pencilly finish w/ dried out tannins; still speaks of Syrah but in a rather
strange voice; still has a bit of life but headed downhill.
light roasted/espresso/NR very light blackberry/Syrah finish w/ light tannins; still has a bit of life and shows some
NorthernRhone character and the classic Clape rusticity, but headed downhill; best of the French Rhones.
8. l'Ecole #41 Syrah Estate/SevenHillsVnyd/WallaWallaVlly (14.4%; www.lEcole.com; U/U) 2001: Dark color w/ little bricking;
very strong blackberry/boysenberry/ripe/Syrah/chocolaty/plummy some buttered popcorn/diacetyl bit licorice/pungent slight
alcoholic nose; soft very ripe/plummy/chocolaty/blackberry/Syrah/boysenberry fairly smooth/lush/ripe light toasty/oak
bit DrPepper/RCCola flavor w/ light tannic bite; long/soft/fat/lush very ripe/chocolaty/plummy/boysenberry/Syrah light
toasty/charred/oak finish w/ light tannins; a bit on the soft/porky/fat side and not showing much complexity but
big/ripe fruit and probably not going to get any better. $32.00
big/ripe/blackberry/Syrah/spicy/boysenberry/DrPepper bit alcoholic light toasty/oak finish w/ light/smooth/textured
tannins; on the ripe side but not over the line into overripeness; lots of spicy Syrah fruit but some cold-climate/
peppery character shows thru; quite a lovely Syrah and near its peak.
climate/peppery some pencilly/toasty/oak flavor w/ smooth tannins;very long some herbal/peppery/cracked black pepper
strong black cherry/blackberry/Syrah light toasty/pencilly/oak finish w/ smooth/modest tannins; a beautiful fully-
mature Syrah made in a Pinot-style some like the Radio-Coteaus.
blackberry/blueberry/Syrah/spicy rather toasty/charred/oak flavor w/ light tannins; very long ripe/blackberry/
blueberry/Syrah some cold-climate/peppery somewhat toasty/charred/oak finish w/ smooth/light tannins; lots of ripe
fruit & the alcohol shows a bit but levely cold-climate character; lovely mature Syrah.
climate peppery strong blueberry/Syrah bit toasty/charred/oak slight herbal/rosemary/DrPepper/licorice flavor w/ modest
tannins; very long/lingering NR/roasted/espresso/coffee strong blueberry/Syrah/spicy some herbal/licorice/pungent
rather charred/toasty/oak complex finish w/ modest tannins; probably near or at its peak; a beautiful Syrah w/ lots
of NR character.
blackberry/Syrah/spicy/herbal/pungent quite NR/roasted/smokey/pungent light floral/violets flavor w/ some tannins; very
long tart/angular light blackberry/Syrah/spicy/herbal rather cracked white pepper some NR/roasted/smokey/espresso/smokey
complex finish w/ some firm/structured tannins remaining; still needs another 2-6 yrs; a rather eccentric Calif Syrah and
developing in a really interesting way; atypical but amazingly good.
___________________________________________________________________________________________
And the usual stuff from TheBloodyPulpit:
1. I was not expecting a whole lot from the French Rhones. They pretty much delivered on that. The Clape and the
Fonsalette were easily the best of a pretty sorry lot. The Beaucastel and the Fonsalette had well over a quarter
of the btl ullaged away...but there was no signs of oxidation in them, other than the color. At the end of the
evening when I dumped them out after retasting, they had all turned a very murky brown in the two hrs. Not at
all unusual for such highly-reduced wines. The wines were not particularly "bad" or unpleasant to drink....they
just didn't offer up a lot of pleasure.
Calif's iconic cold-climate Syrah vnyds and what I would call one of Calif's truly great Syrah vnyds. They sell to
a number of different wineries and I find they are, across the board, some of Calif's best Syrahs. These two were
particularly outstanding w/ my nod going to the SanSakana for its more intense NorthernRhone character. I've had three
(mylast ones) of the SanSakana LasMadres and this last one was easily the best...sigh.
yrs. Ehren has made, over the yrs, some truly profound Syrahs, both from QueSyrah vnyd and his own Estate. And
his Phoenix Ranch Syrahs are pretty good...for up-Valley Napa.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Some Rhones From The Archives...(long/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:43 pm

quote Tom Hill: Ch.de Beaucastel AC: Chateauneuf du Pape (13%) 1989: Med.light w/ some browning; rather funky/mousey/mouse nest/
hantavirus/decayed slight sweet/Grenache fruit nose; slight sweet/Grenache/fruit somewhat tired/astringent rather funky/
mousey/mouse nest flavor; med.long slight sweet/Grenache/fruit rather mousey/mouse nest/funky tired/astringent finish;
shows a bit of sweet fruit and not oxidized tasting but pretty dead/tired. $26.00

wow! most tasting notes just offer a description of the wine, but yours provides a diagnosis! Tyler Coleman can't even do that; you're the new Dr. Vino, Tom! :P
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well....

by TomHill » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:quote Tom Hill: Ch.de Beaucastel AC: Chateauneuf du Pape (13%) 1989: Med.light w/ some browning; rather funky/mousey/mouse nest/
hantavirus/decayed slight sweet/Grenache fruit nose; slight sweet/Grenache/fruit somewhat tired/astringent rather funky/
mousey/mouse nest flavor; med.long slight sweet/Grenache/fruit rather mousey/mouse nest/funky tired/astringent finish;

wow! most tasting notes just offer a description of the wine, but yours provides a diagnosis! Tyler Coleman can't even do that; you're the new Dr. Vino, Tom! :P

Well, Steve....several times I've restacked a woodpile and come upon a mouse nest. It has a very distinctive smell. This is where
you catch the hantavirus. So I associate the smell of a mouse's nest and decaying wood w/ hantavirus..I know the smell well.
If you'd lived the life I have, Steve...you, too, could have these unique experiences. :-)
Tom