The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Texas, the U.S.'s Fifth largest wine producer!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Texas, the U.S.'s Fifth largest wine producer!

by Jenise » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm not sure who I thought #5 was (behind California, Washington, Oregon and New York) but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have thought of Texas.
There are almost 250 wineries in Texas now, up 50% since 2007 per the Shanken rag new item below:

It’s not the first place that comes to mind when one refers to “wine country,” but Texas is the fifth-ranked state by wine production—after California, Washington, New York and Oregon—and retailers say the trend toward local food and wine is helping to galvanize consumer interest. According to the Texas Wine & Grape Growers trade group, the Lone Star State currently has more than 245 bonded wineries, up 50% since 2007, while production rose 35% to 1.35 million cases between 2007-2011.

Texas retail giant Spec’s tells Shanken News Daily that sales of locally-sourced wines are jumping lately. Across Spec’s 100-plus locations—spanning the Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio and El Paso markets—volume of Texas-made wines rose 23% to 27,000 cases in 2012. By value, Spec’s saw Texas-sourced wines crest $3 million in sales on 29% growth last year.

Spec’s Texas wine buyer, Sam Clark, says the chain has made support of the local wine industry a priority. Among the Texas wine labels it carries are six offerings custom-made for the retailer. Those include Muy Grande Texas Tempranillo ($11.49 a 750-ml.), El Pavo Italian Red Blend ($12), 5 Point Cabernet and Chardonnay ($11) and Sweet Spot Red and White ($10 a 1.5-liter). “Sweet wines are huge in Texas,” Clark says. This spring the custom portfolio will be extended with two more wines, made by Texas High Plains producer Llano Estacado and selling for $16 a bottle. Other Texas brands currently seeing strong growth at Spec’s stores include Becker Winery and McPherson Cellars.

Becker and McPherson, along with Sister Creek, are also growing well at Austin chain Twin Liquors, whose Texas wine sales are currently up around 12% year over year. “Texas wines under $10 continue to perform well, but there’s been substantial growth with wines ranging in the $10-$12 area. Those grew by 32% in 2012,” says Twin Liquors president David Jabour.

Chris Potestio, wine and beer business development manager for San Antonio-based Central Market, also sees Texas wines in growth mode. “Each year, the wineries are improving their quality and quality-to-price ratio,” he says, adding that Cabernet and red blends have been leading the way. “We’re seeing more consumers request specific Texas wines.”

Kim McPherson, founder of Lubbock-based McPherson Cellars, says restaurants and fine wine shops in Dallas, Austin and Houston are increasingly receptive to in-state wines. McPherson—which produces a host of wines from Rhône blends and Roussanne to Tempranillo and Albariño to a “bone-dry” Muscat Canelli—currently makes around 10,000 cases a year and is growing at 15%-20% annually. McPherson’s wines have also gained fans outside of Texas, notably in the Maryland-Virginia-Washington, D.C. area. “We have a long way to go,” McPherson says of his state’s wine industry, “but we’re making big strides.”
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Texas, the U.S.'s Fifth largest wine producer!

by Peter May » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:55 am

he he :) I knew.

But in 5th largest wine producer the emphasis is on producer. A lot of wine made in Texas is grown elsewhere, notably New Mexico and California. A pedants examination of the label is required. Basically if it doesn't explicitly and unequivovacably state it is grown and made there then likely its not, and the commonly seen statement that the wine is not for sales outside Texas is an indication that Federal wine laws have not been met.

I'm no expert on Texas wine. I've visited vineyards and wineries there several times since 2000, latest in August 2012.

Unfortunately Pierces Disease has been wrecking the dreams of many around Austin. Some have survived by growing and making wine from native varieties such as Black Spanish (for red, fortified and the popular-with-locals Texas Sweet Red wines) and Blanc di Bois (for white and fortified), importing juice/grapes from north-west Texas or other states.

It seems that Pierces doesn't like the cooler temperatures of the high plains region around Lubbock and that seems to me to be the future area for vinifera. I was very taken with a Llano Esctacado Tempranillo from there, I posted a WTN here.

Not been to the Lubbock region, would like to do so.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: Texas, the U.S.'s Fifth largest wine producer!

by Victorwine » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Peter May wrote;
But in 5th largest wine producer the emphasis is on producer.

Totally agree with Peter, a better statistic to look at is the amount of grapes grown and crushed for wine production, or just look at the number of wineries and those with State Farm Winery licenses (you could only produce wine from state grown grapes) and those with Commercial Winery licenses (you could produce wine from grapes or juice from anywhere).

Salute