The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Marcoux Taltarni St. Jean Pavie Dec. Ridge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Marcoux Taltarni St. Jean Pavie Dec. Ridge

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:06 am

More lunch notes.

2007 Kumeu River Estate Chardonnay (NZ) – oddly the nose seemed more Bordeaux than Burgundy at first, but had interesting cashew notes as well, and there was fairly lush fruit on palate with a crisp balanced finish. Enjoyable.

1998 Dom. de Marcoux CNduP – old garnet colour presaged a mature wine, sweet nose, a bit ripe and a funkiness that made us debate possibilities of spoilage. Lots of acidity and medium length.

1998 Dom. de Marcoux CNduP – I happened to have this in my bag as my back up wine, and decided to have it poured (blind) to see where they would go with it. Very different presentation with colour being the sole similarity. After some mustiness blew off, the nose was good plummy fruit with peppery hints, and the wine showed much better on palate, with a pleasant sweetness replacing the other bottle’s over ripe impression.

1988 Taltarni Cabernet – this Aussie offering was the wine I’d brought to pour (so I did). Hadn’t opened one in ten years so was a bit worried, hence the back up Marcoux. No worries! Dark wine with a good varietal slightly dusty cab nose, good fruit levels, mellow and smooth in the mouth and with good length. At peak for drinking now.

1999 Ch. St. Jean Cinq Cepages – another obvious cab based wine, dark and with a spicy plum nose, fairly extracted on palate and with good length.

2001 Ch. Pavie Decesse – well, we instantly knew it was claret, but were off trolling the left right bank for awhile before landing in St. Emilion. Ripe sweet cassis and hints of soy (after initial mustiness blew off) and on palate very supple, finishing strongly with lots of soft tannin.

2000 Ridge Santa Cruz Cabernet – always been a fan of this wine in other vintages but hadn’t tasted this one before. Dark, with a nice cab nose with some tobacco and wood, mellow wine, mature but will hold well, I think. Pleasant.

2004 Sheridan Cabernet Franc (Yakima) – obvious that we were in the US on this one – whack of sweet wood, but not American. Harder to place this as WA as opposed to CA though. Warm sweet flavours, some developing mint in the nose, soft finish. Pleasant but probably not going anywhere from here.
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

Re: WTN: Marcoux Taltarni St. Jean Pavie Dec. Ridge

by Tom Troiano » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:22 pm

2nd and 3rd wine are the same wine, correct?
Tom T.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Tom Troiano wrote:2nd and 3rd wine are the same wine, correct?

Correct. First was a bit damaged so I opened my back up wine which happened to be the same.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 pm

Bill, was pleased to read your note on the 88 Taltarni--a '90 Taltarni cabernet was the very first Aussie wine I ever tasted, and I loved it. Big and burly but very very old school with a lot of green olive flavors and the like--not at all the stereotype Oz wine. Visited the winery itself in late 2000, and the style hadn't changed. Don't see them around anymore, though the straight shiraz and cabs were both on the shelves here when we moved up nine years ago and a relative QPR bargain.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov