The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2001 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

2001 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese

by Charles Weiss » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:28 pm

Another terrific 2001 German Riesling. Over the years I've often given my wife Leitz Dragonstone to take to dinner with a group of friends, much to their delight. After a sip tonight, she said "this is different from what you gave me to take to the group." Yes indeed.
Charles

2001 Weingut Josef Leitz Rüdesheimer Berg Schlossberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheingau (1/27/2013)
Delicious. Still quite sweet, but with excellent balance so comfortable at the dinner table with sauteed salmon fillet. Lots of secondary fruit flavors, good minerality, some brown spices emerging, and just a bit of creaminess. For my taste this is in mid-maturity.
Last edited by Charles Weiss on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: 2001 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Spatlese

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:07 pm

Intersting. I opened a bottle a few months ago (do you recall when you traded me Roseneck for Schlissberg?), and it was close to halbtrocken with little creaminess. Very early in its maturity but delicious nonetheless.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Charles Weiss

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:47 pm

Boston

Re: 2001 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Spatlese

by Charles Weiss » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:27 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Intersting. I opened a bottle a few months ago (do you recall when you traded me Roseneck for Schlissberg?), and it was close to halbtrocken with little creaminess. Very early in its maturity but delicious nonetheless.

I do remember that David. In fact as you can see from the editing of my original post, I noticed when polishing it off that this bottle was in fact a Schlossberg from that trade, rather than the Roseneck I thought I had pulled from the cellar. That's why my before-being-editing post expressed surprise at how sweet it was, which your reply echoed.

Oh well, nobody said Riesling was easy. Well, the drinking part is.
Charles
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: 2001 Leitz Rudesheimer Berg Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:27 am

I've had similar troubles with Leitz, where I grabbed a Roseneck thinking I was grabbing a Schlossberg. It's even worse now, with the tiny font on the labels and my aging eyes.

I've lost count of how many times I blew right through the gothic script lettering on Catoir labels & pulled a Rieslaner instead of a Riesling.
Decisions are made by those who show up