The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for February: German(ic) Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: Wine Focus for February: German(ic) Riesling

by Salil » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 am

If you've never had Leitz's Roseneck Spatlese, find a bottle from a recent ripe vintage (07? 09? 11?) - it's basically an Auslese, and conveys that same floral/opulent character that Wittmann's sweet wines have.
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:36 pm

Salil wrote:If you've never had Leitz's Roseneck Spatlese, find a bottle from a recent ripe vintage (07? 09? 11?) - it's basically an Auslese, and conveys that same floral/opulent character that Wittmann's sweet wines have.

I've actually had an '08 of this, which I thought was very delicate, though I note it's not in your ripe vintage list up there.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:46 pm

'08 was certainly not a ripe year- at least not by recent standards.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:46 am

The remnants of the Diel did show some more ripeness and a bit of honey on night two, but it's still not very interesting.
no avatar
User

Bill Hooper

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:46 am

McMinnville, OR

by Bill Hooper » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:06 am

David M. Bueker wrote:The remnants of the Diel did show some more ripeness and a bit of honey on night two, but it's still not very interesting.

I believe it. Its hard to make great dry Riesling in a rotten vintage like 2006. With a few exceptions, pretty much everything should have been produced sweet(er) that year.
Wein schenkt Freude
ITB paetrawine.com
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:08 pm

Had a wonderful evening at a new Chinese restaurant with some pals from the Yukon. I was allowed to bring in 2 German wines that I had previously enjoyed at a recent Xmas staff party!

`08 Emrich Schonleber Monzinger Holenberg Riesling R (Nahe).

Went quite well with Peking Duck courses. Medium lemon colour, great elegance and concentration. Pear, melon, pineapple very delicious.

`09 Weingut Hupfeld Hochheimer Kongin Victoriaberg Riesling Spatlese, Rheingau.

I have been informed that the son is making big changes here, for the better I believe. This is a very good wine for under $30 Cdn and I will buy more asap. Very good balance here, sweet, lots of complexity, excellent finish, melon, lemon tones. Was a treat with stuffed crab claws, loved the glass stopper.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Had a wonderful evening at a new Chinese restaurant with some pals from the Yukon. I was allowed to bring in 2 German wines that I had previously enjoyed at a recent Xmas staff party!

`08 Emrich Schonleber Monzinger Holenberg Riesling R (Nahe).

Went quite well with Peking Duck courses. Medium lemon colour, great elegance and concentration. Pear, melon, pineapple very delicious.

`09 Weingut Hupfeld Hochheimer Kongin Victoriaberg Riesling Spatlese, Rheingau.

I have been informed that the son is making big changes here, for the better I believe. This is a very good wine for under $30 Cdn and I will buy more asap. Very good balance here, sweet, lots of complexity, excellent finish, melon, lemon tones. Was a treat with stuffed crab claws, loved the glass stopper.

Two nice ones there, Bob. Was the first one dry?
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:47 pm

No Tim. This has been moving quite slowly off the shelf downtown, think around $50 but will have to check.
The Hupfeld was a revelation for me, after some lousy wines 10 yrs ago.

OK, here you go!

http://devinewines.ca/product.html?id=8619
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:46 pm

A few rieslings last night.

1998 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Spätlese Auction started off a bit soft but really picked up focus with air and was a nice elegant package by the end of the evening. I went back and forth between that and the 1999 JJ Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Auslese which was a bit round from the vintage but pumped out so much of that lovely JJ Prum ethereal lace texture that my tongue kept coming back for more.

I was less enamored of the 1994 Loosen Ürziger Würzgarten Auslese which seemed hollow, awkward and past it, although it wasn't terrible to drink and was a perfectly acceptable (maybe even delicious) accompaniment to food.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:28 pm

Amazing that a 15 year old Riesling would need air time to open up, isn't it. :mrgreen:

I have barely touched my 1999 Prums. Another year or so to go before really tucking into those. Rule of 15 and all that.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:19 pm

RIESLINGFEIER - COLLECTOR'S DINNER - Eleven Madison Park, NYC (2/15/2013)

• 1981 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    The sense of weightlessness and the delicate touch here are hard to describe. Elegant would be an understatement; this just seems to float on the palate with gentle Mosel fruit, lemon cream, mature smoky notes and higher toned herbal elements all coming together harmoniously, and conveyed with such precision and focus. The presence and length here are remarkable - this is a wine that stays with you long after each sip. Truly amazing Kabinett.
  • 2006 Weingut Keller Westhofen Brunnenhäuschen Abtserde ("Abtse®.de") Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    The first thing that stands out here is the power and breadth, but there's also tremendous complexity and a remarkably glossy, polished texture in the mouth. It doesn't have the piercingly vivid mineral character the other GGs show; this comes across riper with the fruit almost verging on the tropical, and conveying more intensity than elegance. It's compelling to drink though with amazing depth, though there's just a touch of warmth on the back end. Auction bottling, from magnum.
  • 2008 Weingut Keller Westhofen Brunnenhäuschen Abtserde ("Abtse®.de") Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    I wasn't that excited by this when I had it a couple of years ago but it comes across a lot more polished and elegant now; it's not as powerful or intense a wine as the '06, and actually needs quite some time in the glass to open up - but when it does, there's a beautiful fragrance combining fresh orchard fruits, high toned herbal elements, stony and briny notes, and a sense of wonderful purity and focus on the palate with amazing depth and length. A real wow wine.
  • 2010 Weingut Keller Westhofen Brunnenhäuschen Abtserde ("Abtse®.de") Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Astonishing how well balanced and elegant this is given the vintage. There's certainly plenty of acidity here, but it's not aggressive and rather is integrated beautifully with the layers of fruit, floral, herbal and mineral flavors here. Fascinating to have this after the flight of the 2008 and 2006 Abtserde GGs, as in terms of intensity and ripeness it's somewhere in between - richer and deeper than the '08 (though not showing quite the same delicate touch on the palate), at the same time not as powerful, broad and intense as the '06, while showing very similar flavours to both.
  • 2010 Weingut Keller Riesling G-Max - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Quite a contrast to the 2010 Abtserde GG; this is rather flamboyant in comparison with a surprisingly exotic floral and herbal perfume, amazing depth on the palate and a sense of real sappiness to the citrus and white fruited flavours here. It seems like a riper and bigger wine, but while quite powerful there's a remarkable sense of finesse here with the acids balancing it very well and keeping it so light on its feet, and a finish that just goes on and on. Stunning wine.
  • 2004 Weingut Keller Riesling G-Max - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Still very primary and youthful, there's an almost oceanic character to the aromas with a vivid saline, briny character dominating, and pure citrus, pear and stone fruit beneath tinged with herbs and stone. Power with a sense of Wonderful purity and elegance, and again, such remarkable length.
  • 2002 Weingut Keller Riesling G-Max - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Just starting to show some developing creamy flavours around the core of youthful ripe fruit and minerality. There's more complexity here apparent than in the other two G-Max vintages poured with a compelling, remarkably layered fragrance here, but at the same time it seems to trade finesse for power here, showing incredible intensity and persistence but not the lightness and elegance that made the 2010 so striking for me.
  • 1981 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Seems to pick up where the Kabinett left off; the same complex, mature Mosel flavours and sense of harmony, and again such elegance and lightness on the palate. This is a little deeper and broader than the Kabinett, yet again so precise, delicate and thrilling to drink.
  • 1995 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    This feels so youthful, almost primary, after drinking the '81 - yet it's absolutely thrilling to drink now, with youthful apple, pear and lime fruit tinged with gentle honeyed and floral notes, and a vivid base of slate underneath. It's certainly got some youthful sweetness to it, but there's als bracing acidity underneath that keeps it so precise, light and perfectly balanced. Fantastic.
  • 1983 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Oh, wow. The aromatics immediately suggest something much sweeter, honeyed and almost candied in contrast to the regular Auslese; the fruit seems riper and more intense here, more peachy with tinges of marzipan and lemon candy around it, and there's such complexity with endless layers of fruit, honey, flowers and mature smoky, creamy and burnished flavour elements. The balance and finesse here are absolutely stunning, and even though it's much riper than the regular Auslese, it still retails that sense of sheer drinkability that makes these wines so thrilling and compelling.
  • 1997 Weingut Keller Rüdesheimer Berg Roseneck Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Rheingau
    From magnum. If I recall correctly, Klaus Peter says he made this while at Geisenheim. It's rich and powerful in that Rheingau way, there's a sense of solidity and chewiness to the fruit here, opulent honeyed, floral and smoky accents to the fruit and bright acids that keep it lively and nicely balanced despite its size. Really nice.
  • 1976 Joh. Jos. Prüm Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Beerenauslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Off the charts amazing. I don't know where to begin to describe this. Cloudy orange-gold in the glass, with one of the most complex, layered and hypnotic aromas I've ever smelled in a wine. This has it all - layers of fruit, spice, honey, florality, minerality, and it'd be impossible to catalog the hundred different flavours in here. It's intensely sweet but so shockingly elegant and light on its feet, with piercing acidity keeping it so precise, focused and that magic Prüm lightness of touch again making it so absurdly easy to drink. It's an intense, layered dessert wine with all the elegance and sheer drinkability of the '81 Kabinett that this dinner started with, and the length is just absurd - it just resonates on and on for minutes after each sip. One of the greatest wines I've ever experienced in my life; wow would be an understatement.
[/list]
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Well that doesn't suck.

So should I reassess my views on Keller or at leasr re-taste?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:17 am

1995 Carl Schmitt-Wagner Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/17/2013)
From the recently released parcel from the winery.

Age can do many things to Riesling. Sometimes it is taken over by aromas that have little to do with wine, while other times the essence of Riesling is laid bare. This is one of the latter. Certainly the vintage, with its notable botrytis, has a hand here, but the core of the wine is lingering fruit overlaying a salty, mineral base. With the botrytis layered on top, it's as if the entire wine was coated with a thin layer of honey and then lit on fire. It's flambeed but not obscured. A subtle sweetness remains - this is auslese after all, and completes the picture, as it balances the acidity such that neither is apparent, but both are clearly present. This is at peak, at peace and a record of how these wines used to taste.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:13 pm

I'm so grateful for those late-released parcels from CSW. The wines have been so, so good, and I'm glad I at least have another case+ remaining of the '01 Auslese, which will make up for my not buying enough of the '95.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:27 pm

Well I still have 4 bottles of the '95 in the cellar.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:22 am

There are a few expressive `95 notes here so gonna open my Erben Erdener Treppchen Riesling Auslese. :wink:
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:07 am

And, would you believe it? I'm opening a '95 Maximin Grunhauser Abtsberg Auslese Riesling Fuder (45?) Auslese in the next day or so ... for this month's marvellously themed wine focus. What a great read this month! And still over a week to go.

And .... Salil - you are one lucky mongrel! (As Salil is part Australian, this preceding seemingly offensive comment should be taken as us true blue Aussie's actually mean it - with due respect but with great envy - Salil will back me up on this - won't you cobber? :lol: ) Great notes, too, by the way.

And as a precursor to my TN, I've added a link to Chris Kissack's detailed history, current holdings and tasting notes on the Von Schubert estate ..... http://www.thewinedoctor.com/germany/vonschubert.shtml
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am

Old Grunhaus is awesome, David. Hope that bottle shows well.

And yes, this was a part of a few special Riesling events. I'd be pretty envious of some others myself if I hadn't been able to attend that EMP dinner with the Kellers and Katharina Prum. ;)

More notes, from night II of Rieslingfeier - and barely even the tip of the iceberg on the wines opened and poured. It was just excessive.

RIESLINGFEIER - BYOB MAIN EVENT - Rouge Tomate, NYC (2/16/2013)

Rough impressions in many cases, and lots omitted - so much great wine going around I wasn't even trying to keep track after a couple of hours.
  • 2007 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Nahe
    Drinking superbly now. A broad yet very elegant palate presence, layers of smoke, stone and fresh citrus and pear fruit all coming together seamlessly; more gentle and understated than the Kellers and quite a stylistic contrast.
  • 2008 Weingut Keller Dalsheimer Hubacker Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    So youthful and tightly wound, but very pure, focused and impeccably balanced. Pure grapefruit, lemon and pear over a firm mineral base with gentle herbal and minty accents developing with air. Lovely.
  • 2008 Weingut Keller Westhofener Morstein Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Wow! Out of the horizontal of '08 Keller dry wines at our table, this was the most impressive for me - such depth of fruit, minerality, smoky and herbal accents emerging with air, and a remarkable combination of power and finesse with amazing length.
  • 2008 Weingut Keller Westhofen Brunnenhäuschen Abtserde ("Abtse®.de") Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    Nice to revisit this a night after the EMP dinner, though it again feels rather youthful and a little closed. At this dinner, I wasn't able to give it as much time and air as at EMP, and it didn't show quite the same depth, but it's still very impressive - incredibly pure fruit, fresh herbs and a vivid briny/saline element beneath, and very well balanced with amazing length.
  • 2008 Weingut Keller Riesling G-Max - Germany, Rheinhessen
    A broader, more powerful expression of Riesling than the Abtserde and Morstein. Despite the hype about this bottling, I think I preferred those two wines in 2008 - the balance on this is stunning with amazing power, depth and length, though it doesn't show quite the same finesse and elegance as the Abtserde or Morstein. There's a spectrum of fruit ranging from tarter lemony flavours to riper peach and other stone fruits, a vivid mineral base beneath and a very polished, almost creamy texture. A remarkable wine, though for me this was more impressive than charming.
  • 2006 Weingut Keller Westhofen Brunnenhäuschen Abtserde ("Abtse®.de") Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Rheinhessen
    From jeroboam (thanks Robert!), and it comes across more fresh and youthful than the '06 Abtserde that was served the previous evening at EMP. The alcoholic heat I noticed then wasn't as noticeable here, though it still feels like a very big wine, and while fantastic now, I'm not sure how gracefully this will age given its ripeness and alcohol.
  • 1990 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhauser Abtsberg Riesling Spätlese trocken - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Just a stunning dry Riesling. A beautiful fragrance with green citrus and orchard fruits, mature smoky and burnished elements and that classic Grunhaus forestal/herbal character, and it's amazingly delicate and light on the palate, lean and dry and yet never austere or harsh, despite its razor sharp acidity. Fantastic.
  • 1995 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Such a delicate, ethereal Kabinett - there's such a sense of lightness and purity to the fruit here; classic Mosel apples and pear with some developing smokiness and lemon cream notes, and just barely a trace of perceptible sweetness.
  • 2001 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Nice to encounter this again after my only bottle a couple of years ago was corked. Thanks David. It comes across very youthful and primary still, not showing the same developed complexity as the '97, but it's made of the same material with fantastic purity of fruit, great balance and a really crystalline palate presence, and I imagine this will only keep getting better over the next few years.
  • 2001 Egon Müller Scharzhofberger Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Very pretty with fresh lime and stone fruit flavours tinged by gentle creaminess and slate, though it's a bit disappointing given my usual standards for Müller - it's nicely balanced, but it's not the fireworks display that I've come to expect from most vintages of his Scharzhofberger Spätlese.
  • 2001 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #3 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Corked. NR (flawed)
  • 1997 Willi Schaefer Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Absolutely stunning. Youthful Mosel fruit, minerality and florality coming together so seamlessly with the start of developing creamy and smoky notes, and all conveyed with that elegance and finesse that always marks Schaefer's wines.
  • 2002 Emrich-Schönleber Monzinger Frühlingsplätzchen Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Nahe
    Solid, but not particularly interesting. Well balanced, but this just struggled on a table with some tremendous Rieslings. Mainly opened to contrast with the corresponding Auction Spätlese, which blew this away.
  • 2002 Emrich-Schönleber Monzinger Frühlingsplätzchen Rutsch Riesling Spätlese Auction - Germany, Nahe
    What a contrast from the regular Spatlese. This is absolutely electric. Opulent and flamboyant with ripe floral-tinged peach, orange and white cherry, but underneath the acidity is just off the charts and keeps this so vibrant and nervy. Even though it has the richness and sweetness of modern Auslese, it's so elegant and light on its feet. Riesling with the voltage turned way, way up.
  • 1966 Schloss Reinhartshausen Erbacher Bruhl Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheingau
    Oh, wow. Such a complex, haunting fragrance with mature fruit, honey, smoky, herbal and more savoury burnished notes all coming together, and just an incredible regal presence on the palate - it's powerful and still very fresh at this age, yet at the same time there's an amazingly delicate touch and a polished, glossy texture. The finish is remarkable - this just stays with you, and the flavours keep unfolding long after each sip. Utterly amazing wine.
  • 1996 Zilliken (Forstmeister Geltz) Saarburger Rausch Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    This is all about precision and focus. Still remarkably young with fresh pear, lime and stone fruit flavours accented with fresh herbs and mineral notes, and beneath there's a powerful acid spine that keeps it really vibrant and focused.
  • 2001 Joh. Jos. Christoffel Erben Ürziger Würzgarten Riesling Auslese * - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Awesome. A basket of freshly picked apples, limes, strawberries seasoned with slate, honey and spice, and there's such vibrancy and freshness to the flavours here with really bright acids cutting through the richness and keeping this so elegant and precise. A real wow wine, thanks Seth.
  • 1990 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    This was just insane. Such complexity, depth and vibrancy, and a finish that just kept resonating.
  • 1985 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
    Softer and more creamy than the '90 (not surprisingly), but still quite delicious with a spectrum of ripe Mosel fruit, honey, spice and maturing smokiness and fusel notes coming together on a medium weight frame. It's very polished and graceful on the palate, finishing long though it does leave me wanting just a touch more acidity.
  • 1998 Müller-Catoir Mußbacher Eselshaut Rieslaner Auslese - Germany, Pfalz
    Amazingly vivid and fiery Rieslaner that just woke my palate right back up late in the evening after a lot of Riesling. A core of ripe apricots and tropical fruits seasoned with flamboyant high toned spicy notes and some developed burnished elements, so powerful, vibrant and long. Those old Catoirs are just fantastic.

After a while, I wasn't even trying to keep track of the wines, and in other cases (the 1971 Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr TBA or a '73 Steinberger BA-Eiswein), I had and still have no words - the '71 Prum TBA was absurd beyond words.
And I'll also add that perhaps for the Donnhoff-doesn't-age crowd, a trio of '98 Spatlesen from Brucke, Hermannshohle and Kupfergrube were all quite lovely, and a '90 Brucke Auslese was very pretty, savoury, mature and polished.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:11 pm

Salil wrote:1990 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhauser Abtsberg Riesling Spätlese trocken - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer
Just a stunning dry Riesling. A beautiful fragrance with green citrus and orchard fruits, mature smoky and burnished elements and that classic Grunhaus forestal/herbal character, and it's amazingly delicate and light on the palate, lean and dry and yet never austere or harsh, despite its razor sharp acidity. Fantastic.

That's pretty impressive. Was it from an American collector? Didn't know how many people in the US were buying trockens in the early 90s.
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:53 pm

A few recent rieslings. The Thanisch just squeaked past the St Urbans-Hof, but both were awesome. It was definitely nice to try a feinherb style for a change; lean and racy rather than rich and ultra sweet, like most 'fruity' wines now...

• 2004 St. Urbans-Hof Leiwener Laurentiuslay Riesling Spätlese Feinherb Erste Lage - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/16/2013)
    Light yellow/golden in colour. Wonderful nose of mainly stone and stonefruit: slate, lime, mango, nectarines and pineapple. Similar notes on the medium bodied, honeyed, pure and very racy palate. Electric acidity compared to a 'normal' spatlese, definitely less sweet, and beautifully balanced. Outstanding wine! Ready now, but should last and improve many years yet. (A-)
  • 2005 Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch (Erben Müller-Burggraef) Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/13/2013)
    Didn't take notes, but I served this with crab cakes last night. The crab cakes were very good, but the wine was great! Great pairing too. The wine had a great combination of power and balance. Viscous but light in the mouth, lots of lime, nectarines, pineapple, etc, and good minerality. Nice long finish. Tasty now, but will only get better. (A-/A)
  • 2004 Schloss Lieser Niederberg Helden Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/1/2013)
    Hazy notes from last night. Lots of honeyed pineapple, mango and nectarines on the rich palate. A bit more acidity would be nice, but still a very nice wine with good concentration and harmony. Just starting to come together, but will last years yet. (B+/A-)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:29 am

Love those St. Urbans-Hof feinherb wines. They are remarkably food friendly.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:00 am

FWIW - St. Urbans-Hof has an Ontario connection: http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/yourturn050615.html
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:10 am

1997 Von Schubert Maximin Grünhauser Herrenberg Riesling Auslese #89 7.5% AV

I mentioned in a previous post, I was going to open one of my Von Schubert numbered Abstberg Auslese's from 1995, but noticed a weeping cork in this bottle in the same box, so, as is my policy, leakers always get drunk first.

Garnishing a spectacularly bright, burnished pale gold colour, this outstanding wine offers a smorgasboard of aromas that includes freshly cut crispy green apples, mango, peaches, apricot, cream, honey, redcurrant, lemon merangue, lime and salty minerals. The palate's a virtual rehash of the vast array of exotic flavours that were noted in the bouquet. Lavish and compelling in nature this decadent riesling swells into the mid-palate with gusto than settles with smoothness and great resolution from deftly-judged acidity on the dramatic and lengthy back end. These great German white's are almost enigmatic given their incredible extract and lusciousness yet are almost always light on their feet and just so easy and delightful to drink by themselves on a very warm summer's afternoon. 93 with a drinking plateau of at least 10, perhaps even 20 years?
Last edited by David Lole on Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks David!

Love those Grunhaus Auslesen. 1997s are babies, and the vintage is fantastic for the Ruwer (more so than the middle Mosel).
PreviousNext