The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Cooler/Regrigerator

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Todd Burger

Rank

Just got here

Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:18 am

Wine Cooler/Regrigerator

by Todd Burger » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:35 am

Hi,

I'm relatively new here, so forgive me is this is an inappropriate topic for this forum. I'm looking to buy a Danby wine cooler (Danby DWC656BLS 65 Bottle Wine Cooler) with a humidity "reservoir". Is Danby a reputalbe name? I read one horrid review on Amazon that spoke of condensation, high noise output, leaking water ont the floor...

Obviously I don't want to buy something that's going to ruin my environment.

Any comments, suggestions?

I also want to purchase a standing wine glass rack - but not one that holds wine bottles. I'm not having much luck. Again - any suggestions?S

Thanks,
Todd
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Wine Cooler/Regrigerator

by Jenise » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:20 pm

Todd, welcome to the forum, and this definitely isn't an inappropriate topic. We all have storage issues, and we're happy to share our experiences.

I've seen the Danby stuff around but I don't have any personal experience with them. I think you're wise to check Amazon for reviews and to pay heed to them providing that you're not looking at only one bad review where 29 others rave. Excess noise and leaks definitely aren't negotiable, but among appliances there's always the chance of a dud. I believe the Danby line is relatively inexpensive, but you have to ask yourself if you're getting what you pay for.

Danby's kind of an odd name for an appliance manufacturer, isn't it? Sounds more like a shoe or a hat. (Mr. Burger arrived with his Danby derby perched jauntily to one side....)

But I digressed. I bought Vintage Keeper for a stand-alone unit and I was very very happy with it (I since built a permanent cellar and resold it), and I have a Vinotemp under-counter wine refer that I purchased via Costco online. A friend who lives in Southern California recently bought a Vinotemp at a scratch n' dent outlet for about half price. Depending on the size unit you need (and believe me, you need at least twice what you think you do), if you don't get good feedback on the Danby you might look for alternative ways to buy one of the original wine storage manufacturers' products at a discount.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:27 pm

"I also want to purchase a standing wine glass rack - but not one that holds wine bottles."

Welcome to WLDG, Tod. Hope you'll post more in the future.

I haven't seen any stand alone cabinets for wine glasses that don't have a wine bottle rack as part of the system. As you've learned, they are few and far between.

One idea, though -- make one of your own.

There are number of wine glass holders that come in kit form; here's one of many examples: http://www.eclectic-ware.com/Eclectic-w ... lders.html

Then get a cabinet of the size you want to use. IKEA has a wide variety of cabinets in different finishes and quite inexpensive. Instead of using the shelves that come with the units, mount the wine glass holders on the clips that come with the cabinet.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Todd Burger

Rank

Just got here

by Todd Burger » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:44 pm

That is a *terrific* idea. My Dad - retired and loving it - builds things for his "kids" (so he calls us...I'm 40). Didn't even cross my mind.

Thanks!!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:31 pm

Hi Todd, welcome to the forum. I also do not have any firsthand experience with the Danby wine cabinet, but I have heard some pretty good things about the brand. A word of caution though...if you buy a 65 bottle capacity, it will only be a short while before you need a 365 bottle capacity. You might think I jest, but remember where you heard it.

I fear that this next might make Jenise cringe, but I am going to make the suggestion anyway. Since you have already told us your name, why not post under it instead of a nom de plume? Much friendlier IMO.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Todd Burger

Rank

Just got here

by Todd Burger » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:55 pm

Jenise - thanks for the advice.

Bob - good point. I'd have to mark that up as a "duh", as you correctly noted that I already gave you my name.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:40 pm

I've had the Danby for about a year. It's pretty quiet and, to date, no problems. I would agree with the problem of too much wine for too small a cooler. :lol:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:45 am

>> A word of caution though...if you buy a 65 bottle capacity, it will only be a short while before you need a 365 bottle capacity. <<

You can say that again! I just poked a few extra bottles into my "350" bottle Vinotemp which actually has 348 spaces. I have jammed 17 more bottles in above the "top row".

And I bought it because my closet that held 100 (more or less) bottles was spilling them on the floor and I had to clean up a mess for the second time.

I hate to clean up messes, but what was really bad was licking all that wine up off the floor so I didn't waste any! :-)
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:55 am

I'm sorry to report that even the small wine locker I rented in Napa is now almost full. :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Todd Burger

Rank

Just got here

by Todd Burger » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:09 am

That's what I discovered about wine racks. When I first "got into" wine, I had a twelve bottle wine rack, then added a twenty-some-odd bottle wine rack...and finally decided I needed a cooler. I don't have plans to get rid of the wine racks, because of the likely "spillage".
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:50 am

Todd, I have a Danby 75 bottle cooler (crammed with 103 bottles right now) and a 33 btl cooler. Both have been very good products with very helpful customer assistance.
The only saving grace to having limited storage space is that it makes me really think more about every purchase Imake for wine I need to/want to age.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:03 am

Bump up for Tina.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:36 am

Jenise wrote:I have a Vinotemp under-counter wine refer that I purchased via Costco online.

Hi, what's that for if you also have a cellar? Is it so you can store the evening's bottles to prevent having to travel to the cellar? What about your heart?

One great thing about wine is the permanence of the issues surrounding the subject. If you forgot to say something during one discussion, there will always be another chance. So unlike marriage for some people, where they had the chance of this or that discussion, once.

You raised the question of 2004 Bordeaux purchasing recently. I am agonizing over it. Should I take the plunge, again, at my autumnal age? I guess many of them have precocious puberty because of the high pressure stall way into October. And I am reading that some show mysterious qualities, an idea that captivates me. What a sales pitch.

Nice to see you back. Hope you had a good time down south.

Covert
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:44 am

Covert, that's exactly what it's for. The wines there are mostly whites and champagnes. It's convenient AND, more importantly, cosmetically speaking I needed something classy (it's glass doored/stainless) to fill the space freed by a decrepit 80's vintage icemaker that Bobby Hull, the original owner of this home, installed--this house was built for all-weekend parties.

Re the 04's--I hear you. Best I can remember, so far I've only bought Clerc Milon, Palmer and Duhart Milon. I would like to have Leoville Barton and Pontet Canet as well. My issue is more when is enough enough vs. age, but I can't resist owning them and I can't think of one reason you should either. You have the money, you have the love, you have the intellectual curiosity. Ten years from now you'll be glad you have them, and if you're not, what did you really lose hedging your bets? You'd surely be able to sell them for whatever you paid for them if you buy classed growths. I couldn't resist buying 03 Moutons a few weeks ago when I found them at two thirds of current retail--feeling my oats as I am about selling just seven bottles for close to a grand each and making enough to fund a landscaping make-over. My first sale--I'm so proud!
no avatar
User

Clinton Macsherry

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Baltimore MD

by Clinton Macsherry » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:20 pm

Jenise wrote:. . . Bobby Hull, the original owner of this home . . .

The Bobby Hull?!? No kidding? Does Redwinger know about this?
FEAR THE TURTLE ! ! !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:13 pm

Si. This whole neighborhood was designed to be a weekend getaway enclave for Canadians, and somehow after Bobby's divorce ownership ended up with son Bret. There's even a built-in trophy case in the dining room. :)
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

by Covert » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:27 am

Jenise wrote:Ten years from now you'll be glad you have them

I think I knew that about your whites and Champagnes, in my subconscious. I had forgotten.

Re the ‘04s, you are a great salesman. Done.

And good for you re your Moutons. For the decision to cash in on those, you tapped into your intuitive resources, knowing in your heart of hearts that you won’t have missed out on a spectacular evolution when, in the future, you get around to finding out – intellectually – how they grew up.

On another note, Lynn and I had a weird experience last night with a case of 2000 l’Argententyre, a Cru Bourgeois which I recently ordered and received from a store in Napa Valley. The cork in the first bottle was deteriorated; partially, I think, from standing up. It crumbled upon attempted pulling and the wine tasted horrible – not oxidized, though, but more like that acrid, chemical smell of a rotted potato. I tried a second bottle, to get a sense of whether the entire case had been stored improperly, and it was corked!; but the cork was okay physically. I wanted to open a third bottle for more evidence, when Lynn stopped me, saying enough was enough – that I should attempt to return the entire case. Of course the corkiness had nothing to do with the store. I might sneak open a third bottle before making a decision about what to do.

Lastly, totally unrelated – to everybody but you, me and the lamppost – when we popped the corks, Lynn and I had just returned from two car dealerships. For three years, from the first day of my last lease, I have been trying to decide on what car to buy next, as it will carry me into “retirement” from my current demanding job. I know a Lexus is the best car in the world, from a value and quality perspective; a very practical car to own. But somehow Lynn feels that I look “right” in a Cru Bourgeois-like car, the black-on-black Maxima.

We drove both options, and the Lexus is by far the more elegant car. But Lynn said it is too feminine, even for her; although she strongly agrees that it is a better, more practical car. The Maxima has that “new” continuously variable transmission, which doesn’t shift, or shifts infinitely so that you can’t feel the changes, keeping the rpm at constant maximum torque through the “quarter mile” range, if you were to floor it and keep it floored – like an old Dynaflow Buick from the ‘50s. Lynn thought that feature made the car even more apropos. So, after sleeping on it, and just choosing upon waking up, without aid of solidified reason that comes with a first cup of coffee, I guess I will buy it.