The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Cellar Tracker mapping: please tell me it's worth it!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: Cellar Tracker mapping: please tell me it's worth it!

by Mark Lipton » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Now a fan as well, but I've got you all beat: 19 wines in common (but 42 bottles). Unsurprisingly, it's mostly Bordeaux, Ridge, Beaucastel, ESJ and St. Innocent.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

John S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:12 am

British Columbia

by John S » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:52 am

OK, I'll play as well - 13 wines and 33 wines in common with my cellar. More than I thought it would be, as I don't access US sources.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:56 pm

John S wrote:OK, I'll play as well - 13 wines and 33 wines in common with my cellar. More than I thought it would be, as I don't access US sources.

Yes, but my cellar is 53% French, and you and I both have a lot of Washington wine, at least out of proportion to what most here would have given our proximity to Walla Walla. So maybe not so surprising?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:16 pm

Well, never done that before. Only 28 wines in common with Jenise, and surprisingly only 34 with the nutty professor. Now David B, 109 in common!
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:57 pm

Dale Williams wrote:only 34 with the nutty professor

Hey, I resemble that remark! That number is especially surprising when one considers that 4 of those wines we bought jointly. It certainly affords many choices of things to pull for future get-togethers, though! :mrgreen:

Mark "Fruitcake" Lipton
no avatar
User

Eric LeVine

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:27 pm

Seattle, WA

by Eric LeVine » Sat Feb 09, 2013 7:47 pm

I have 29 wines in common with Jenise.

There has to be some sort of degrees of Kevin Bacon game we can play here.
Eric 'CellarTracker' LeVine
It rhymes with wine...
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:06 pm

Dale-I am not shocked by that number.

Given the general consistency in terms of preferred wine styles I am surprised by some of the lower numbers.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:17 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Dale-I am not shocked by that number.

Given the general consistency in terms of preferred wine styles I am surprised by some of the lower numbers.

I think that one issue is that some of us have holdings significantly smaller than you (and Dale) have, thereby lowering the probabilities. Among the various board personae whose stash I can query, you have the highest number (at 40, edging out Dale) and Salil, surprisingly, comes in at the lowest with 19 -- probably because I no longer own any Verset and never did own any Gentaz.

Elements of commonality amongst us all seem to be: ESJ, Cowan Cellars, Baudry and Ridge. The surprise for me is that we seem to concur more on the subject of American wines than European, since I strongly suspect that most of our holdings are stacked in favor of European wines.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:59 am

Eric LeVine wrote:I have 29 wines in common with Jenise.

There has to be some sort of degrees of Kevin Bacon game we can play here.

Hmmm...when I make the same query, I get 31. Did you go shopping since your earlier post? I didn't! Interesting (thought not terribly surprising) that though we both live in Washington, we have only three WA wines in common. The rest are Bordeaux, three vintages of Fonseca ports, and a few Rhones.

Speaking of Kevin Bacon, only one degree here. His long-time assistant was my next door neighbor growing up. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:10 am

Mark,

My significant German holdings likely keep the number down with everyone (except Salil).
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:42 am

David, seems 26.8% of our wines in common are German. I'm surprised it's that high- not because I don't know we like a lot of the same producers, but because German producers make so many bottlings that it reduces chances of commonality.

Mark Lipton wrote:Elements of commonality amongst us all seem to be: ESJ, Cowan Cellars, Baudry and Ridge. The surprise for me is that we seem to concur more on the subject of American wines than European, since I strongly suspect that most of our holdings are stacked in favor of European wines.

I think that's pretty predictable. US wines beloved by people with Eurocentric tastes who participate on wine boards is a comparatively narrow field, so if you had me take guesses at what US wines would be in your cellar ESJ and Ridge would certainly be in first few guesses. While in Europe I wouldnt be able to guess whether you were more a NSG or Volnay guy (and then if you favored Montille, Angerville, Lafarge, Voillot, various Boillots, PdO, ChB, etc, and then Champans or Taillepieds or....)
And we all have probably met Jim C or at least conversed (and very limited number of bottlings released there).

Jenise wrote:Hmmm...when I make the same query, I get 31. Did you go shopping since your earlier post? I didn't! Interesting (thought not terribly surprising) that though we both live in Washington, we have only three WA wines in common. The rest are Bordeaux, three vintages of Fonseca ports, and a few Rhones.

Speaking of Kevin Bacon, only one degree here. His long-time assistant was my next door neighbor growing up. :)

Funny number thing. With David, when I do wines in common, at top (narrow results) it says 112 wines. But in summary at bottom it says 328 bottles in 109 wines. Any ideas for discrepancy?

Sorry, Jenise, Bacon numbers only count credited film appearances! :)
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:39 am

Dale,

The two main importers of German wine tend to bring in the same bottling most every year. If we had direct access I am sure the number would be lower.
Previous