The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2000 Prieure Lichine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 2000 Prieure Lichine

by Diane (Long Island) » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:25 pm

I was cooking braised short ribs for dinner last night. What better to eat on a cold wintry night, and what better to drink with short ribs than Bordeaux. At least that is our favorite pairing.

Gosh, I love this wine. So sensuous, so Margaux, the taste sensation stayed with me for hours - in a good way. It showed what I love about the vintage - structure, freshness, plenty of ripe fruit - plush without being overblown. I wish it weren't my last bottle, because I think it could last years.
Last edited by Diane (Long Island) on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diane
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2000 Prieure Lichine

by David M. Bueker » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Only bought a few of the 2000. All mine are gone as well.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:52 pm

Thanks for the note and reminding me about this Chateau, Diane.

I drank a 1982 Prieure-Lichine some years ago (circa early naughties) that was outstanding, bordering on exceptional. My great friend (now deceased) who pulled the bottle from his underground cellar, said it was a very fine wine for what it was and in the scheme of things would always represent amazing value for money compared to something like Ch. Margaux. Some time after Tom passed away (a few years ago now), I was asked by his widow to send his remaining stash of wine under their house to auction. The amount of top end 1982 Bordeaux (most of the first growths and all the super seconds) we found was mind boggling, but I didn't find one bottle of 1982 Prieure-Lichine! That would have been one I may have been able to afford.

Must keep a look out for some more of this label.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:19 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Only bought a few of the 2000. All mine are gone as well.

Very nice notes, Diane. I do happen to have a bottle still remaining in the cellar.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:09 pm

Wow, you guys have been getting into your 2000's early. We're still drinking 98's. Speaking of which, I believe I have a magnum of '98 Prieure Lichine. A bit of a liability since none of my friends on this side of the border have any interest in Bordeaux.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:22 pm

In retrospect, I felt I should have held onto it, but then I thought, hell no, it really was great with the short ribs. It was the perfect time to drink it. Sometimes the biggest dilemma is choosing which wine to open, but this one was staring at me.

Jenise, if you ever make it out East, bring the 1998 Mag. I've got a 1998 Leoville Las Cases (750) that I'm itching to open.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Diane (Long Island) wrote:In retrospect, I felt I should have held onto it, but then I thought, hell no, it really was great with the short ribs. It was the perfect time to drink it. Sometimes the biggest dilemma is choosing which wine to open, but this one was staring at me.

Jenise, if you ever make it out East, bring the 1998 Mag. I've got a 1998 Leoville Las Cases (750) that I'm itching to open.

You've got a date. I also have a 98 REAL Margaux, Diane. We could do some damage!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov