The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Three monumental sweet wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Three monumental sweet wines

by Salil » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Some great drinking over this weekend, with a few truly monumental sweet wines. Two of them - the Valdespino and the Huet - are among the most jawdroppingly amazing wine experiences I've ever had in my life, both as close to perfection as I could ever imagine.

2001 Dönnhoff Niederhäuser Hermannshöhle Riesling Auslese
Nothing new to add to my earlier praise for this wine. It remains a stunning wine, one of the most compelling and consistently thrilling Rieslings I've ever had with an amazing depth and purity of fruit, minerality, gentle honeyed and floral notes and now showing just some signs of developing creamy and more savoury notes. The balance is impeccable, and the length is beyond words.

N.V. Valdespino Jerez-Xérès-Sherry Moscatel Viejísimo Toneles
The sweetness here goes to eleven. So does the acidity. And so does the complexity and depth, along with everything else, and it still retains perfect balance and amazing focus. An astounding wine, intense and complex beyond description with layers of fresh and dried fruits, spice, nuttiness, caramel and so much more, yet so light, elegant and focused, and utterly thrilling across each sip. This has one the most amazing fragrances I've come across in any wine, a finish that just keeps resonating for minutes after each sip... just wow. What a treat. Thanks Ross.

59huet.jpg

1959 Huët Vouvray Moelleux 1ère Trie Le Haut-Lieu
Hard to put this one into words. It's so complex with layers of Chenin fruit and wooliness and more savoury, creamy and honeyed flavours all coming together seamlessly, and it's in that spot of maturity where the flavours all seem perfectly integrated into a whole, and it tastes exactly as it smells. The balance here is stunning with bright acids balancing the sweetness, a remarkably polished, almost weightless palate presence and tremendous length. What a wine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Clint Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:39 am

Seattle, WA

Re: WTN: Three monumental sweet wines

by Clint Hall » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:35 am

Your 1959 Huet Vouvray 1ere Trie Le Haut Lieu TN made me drool with envy. There's still some available in the US, according to WS Pro, but at $500-$550 I'll have to think about it. What makes me curious is that of the three Huets the Haut Lieu have always seemed to me to be the earlier drinkers.