The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Direct Shipping Report from Maryland

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Mc

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 am

Washington DC -- Maryland Suburbs

Direct Shipping Report from Maryland

by David Mc » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:05 pm

Interesting read. It was great to finally have wine delivered directly to my house.

http://links.mkt2105.com/ctt?kn=11&ms=N ... &mt=1&rt=0
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

Re: Direct Shipping Report from Maryland

by Jon Peterson » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:45 am

Thanks for this, David. It sure is tempting to say "I told you so." to Annapolis.
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:58 am

I was upset that Maryland did this. Think of the kids. I have no doubt that a bunch of teens are going to spend $100+ a go and wait weeks to get wine sent freight to their home. Possibly school. No doubt what so ever.
no avatar
User

Bruce K

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:06 pm

by Bruce K » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:23 pm

Yes, thanks for the link. My own experience has been largely positive, with the sole exception that a number of smaller wineries have chosen not to jump through the various hoops required for a direct shipping permit, probably because the expense doesn't justify the additional sales that would result. My understanding is that Maryland's process is more difficult than other states due to some amendments the wholesalers slipped in before passage.

Nevertheless, the direct shipping law is more than welcome in a state where it was once a felony. And it's good to know that it's working well overall. It's also worth a reminder that passage of such a law was long considered a political impossibility due to the NRA-like power of the wholesalers lobby in Maryland. Kudos are due to state Sen. Jamie Raskin who fought for this year in and year out, and kept going after each defeat until it finally passed.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:12 pm

Bruce K wrote:Yes, thanks for the link. My own experience has been largely positive, with the sole exception that a number of smaller wineries have chosen not to jump through the various hoops required for a direct shipping permit, probably because the expense doesn't justify the additional sales that would result. My understanding is that Maryland's process is more difficult than other states due to some amendments the wholesalers slipped in before passage.

Nevertheless, the direct shipping law is more than welcome in a state where it was once a felony. And it's good to know that it's working well overall. It's also worth a reminder that passage of such a law was long considered a political impossibility due to the NRA-like power of the wholesalers lobby in Maryland. Kudos are due to state Sen. Jamie Raskin who fought for this year in and year out, and kept going after each defeat until it finally passed.

+1. Roughly a third of what I ordered from US wineries last year had to go to DC. If I exclude the bigger wineries such as Ridge and Tablas, its would be half, probaly closer to two thirds going to DC. Still better than it was.
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:17 am

Kelly Young wrote:I was upset that Maryland did this. Think of the kids. I have no doubt that a bunch of teens are going to spend $100+ a go and wait weeks to get wine sent freight to their home. Possibly school. No doubt what so ever.

I saw some kids drinking '83 Margaux down behind the shed the other day. No doubt delivered by UPS when their folks weren't home!
no avatar
User

Kelly Young

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:37 pm

Washington, DC

by Kelly Young » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:42 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:
Kelly Young wrote:I was upset that Maryland did this. Think of the kids. I have no doubt that a bunch of teens are going to spend $100+ a go and wait weeks to get wine sent freight to their home. Possibly school. No doubt what so ever.

I saw some kids drinking '83 Margaux down behind the shed the other day. No doubt delivered by UPS when their folks weren't home!

We're those the punks who were bootlegging foie gras from Chicago?