The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

So What Grape(s) Do NOT Reflect Terroir???

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: So What Grape(s) Do NOT Reflect Terroir???

by Lou Kessler » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:13 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:Maybe Coturri should be distributed by Jenny and Francois? :twisted:

Um, pretty sure at least in NY Coturri IS distributed by Jenny & Francois.
I actually like most of their portfolio.

Mark Lipton wrote:Or the guy (name redacted out of politeness) who brings in Cornelissen. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Who's the importer? I'm 1 for 2 in my tasting of Cornelissen, one great one at a big tasting, another that seemed possibly cooked. I realize (like say Scholium Project) they have heated supporters and detractors. I'd be happy to sample more, just a bit more expensive than my experimentation budget. But a lot of people I respect like the wines. I think Brian and Mark just blindly follow Bettane- natural wine haters! :)

But Coturri, I'd guess I've had 8-10 bottles. All but 3 undrinkably bretty. One that was actually pretty decent, one zin unflawed but pruney, and one red that actually bubbled/spewed out of the bottle as opened- I've never seen that elsewhere. Ever,

Sounds like a secondary fermentation. If I remember correctly Vieux Telegraphe had this problem many years ago and Kermit had to replace wine or return the purchaser's money. They actually had some bottles go boom and pop their corks I seem to remember.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Yup...

by TomHill » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:48 pm

Dale Williams wrote:But Coturri, I'd guess I've had 8-10 bottles. All but 3 undrinkably bretty. One that was actually pretty decent, one zin unflawed but pruney, and one red that actually bubbled/spewed out of the bottle as opened- I've never seen that elsewhere. Ever,

Hmmmm...slow learner, Dale??? :-)

I've had a few just on, or before, release that I liked quite a bit. But in a year or two, they were pretty much shot.
The wines are often harvested pretty late, at high sugars. They are made w/ no SO2 or filtering. They often go into the btl w/ a witch's brew of microbiological
activity. They are pretty erratic in how they age, mostly not into something pleasurable. But Alice worships their wines.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Dale Williams wrote:. I think Brian and Mark just blindly follow Bettane- natural wine haters! :)

No. Not at all. I brought a bottle of Loire Valley Gamay that was ummm...undergoing secondary fermentation in the bottle. My sister in law and I thought it made a great Thanksgiving wine. I even liked the one bottle of Cornelison I've had!
I really only like Beaujolais when it is somewhat funky-Dressner or Massale or the like.

I just had a couple of J&F wines that were....really, really stinky.

BUT...there is that common "French Hipster Wine" flavor profile that I pick up. I like it, but it is distinctive to me.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Yup...

by Dale Williams » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 pm

TomHill wrote:Hmmmm...slow learner, Dale??? :-)

I AM a slow learner about many things in life, but except for a couple of early bottles, these were all from other people's cellars (and Lou, the spewing bottle didn't blow a cork on it's own, but the guy with the corkscrew was lucky not to lose an eye when it popped as he started opening! I think that tablecloth died, though)

But Alice worships their wines.

Really, dude, you need to talk to someone re this Alice obsession :)

Brian K Miller wrote:I just had a couple of J&F wines that were....really, really stinky.BUT...there is that common "French Hipster Wine" flavor profile that I pick up. I like it, but it is distinctive to me.

I have some friends who adore the Oliver Cousin Anjou (J&F import) where the "ass in the glass" can exceed my tolerance. Most not so bad.
Unintentional 2ndary fermentation is never a good thing (see Coturri).
But speaking of Loire Gamay (and grapes reflecting terroir) -there's a combo with a distinctive terroir/grape signature that I don't care for. There's something about a lot of Loire Gamay that has a disturbing (to me) aroma - I called potted plant,I think Mark L narrowed me down to geranium. Others don't smell it, or don't mind it. I only usually get from Loire Gamay, only very occasionally from Beaujolais Gamay, or Loire Pineau d'A.

Yes, often I get a primary/grapey note that says "unsulphured/natural" to me, but as long as there's something interesting underneath......
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:50 pm

I'd agree with the geranium assessment.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Dale Williams wrote:
I have some friends who adore the Oliver Cousin Anjou (J&F import) where the "ass in the glass" can exceed my tolerance. .

I think THAT is the producer of one of the strangest wines I have ever tasted. Light, fruity Gamay flavor then pow...RANCID PEANUT BUTTER. Not horse barn or typical brett, but rancid peanut butter! :shock:

Then I saw a photo of the guy (who looks like he lives under a bridge), heard he has no electricity anywhere on the farm...
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't get geranium at all in my favorite (when not refermenting) Loire Gamay...the brand new L'Insurge project from shaved-head-should-be-skateboarding Jeremey Quastana. Loved his Cot, also! Which was actually funkier in a traditionally bretty sense than the Gamay. :?
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:12 am

Dale Williams wrote:I have some friends who adore the Oliver Cousin Anjou (J&F import) where the "ass in the glass" can exceed my tolerance. Most not so bad.

That comment reminds me of my all time worst wine experience, courtesy of Mike Lawton at a Toledo get-together a few years ago. He'd brought two wines from Dom. du Peyra, one of which was quite nice and the other of which Joe Perry steered me away from, telling me it smelled like shit. He wasn't being metaphorical, either, but quite literal in his description. It was, hands down, the worst case of Brett contamination that it's ever been my misfortune to smell.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:54 am

Geranium odor is often associated with a malo-lactic fermentation that takes place in a wine that has been treated with potassium sorbate, a chemical used to inhibit yeast fermentation. While the sorbate does not kill the yeast, it prevents it from reproducing and is often used in wines that are finished with residual sugar.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:38 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Geranium odor is often associated with a malo-lactic fermentation that takes place in a wine that has been treated with potassium sorbate, a chemical used to inhibit yeast fermentation. While the sorbate does not kill the yeast, it prevents it from reproducing and is often used in wines that are finished with residual sugar.

That does not sound very much like what "natural wine" Loire Valley producers would be doing. Hmmmmm.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:43 pm

Brian K Miller wrote:
Howie Hart wrote:Geranium odor is often associated with a malo-lactic fermentation that takes place in a wine that has been treated with potassium sorbate, a chemical used to inhibit yeast fermentation. While the sorbate does not kill the yeast, it prevents it from reproducing and is often used in wines that are finished with residual sugar.

That does not sound very much like what "natural wine" Loire Valley producers would be doing. Hmmmmm.

Perhaps it (or something similar) is used in the vineyard instead of pesticides?

That would be interesting as I always assumed the vegetal/geranium flavors were part of how gamay expressed itself in Touraine, as it's a different terroir from Beaujolais. But I've never actually visited Beaujolais.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:14 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:I have some friends who adore the Oliver Cousin Anjou (J&F import) where the "ass in the glass" can exceed my tolerance. Most not so bad.

That comment reminds me of my all time worst wine experience, courtesy of Mike Lawton at a Toledo get-together a few years ago. He'd brought two wines from Dom. du Peyra, one of which was quite nice and the other of which Joe Perry steered me away from, telling me it smelled like shit. He wasn't being metaphorical, either, but quite literal in his description. It was, hands down, the worst case of Brett contamination that it's ever been my misfortune to smell.

Mark Lipton

That your all time worst wine experience involved Lawton and Young Joe Perry is understandable. That YJP was the successful steerer away from disaster is in itself strange and unusual, similar to saying Brad Kane is right: it doesn't happen very often.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:26 pm

Besides what Howie wrote, the geranium- like aroma could also be the result of a spoilage problem in the formation of lactic acid by certain strains of bacteria.

Salute
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:03 pm

Pineau D'Aunis ? spelling--I always get the smell of pine needles, which I find pleasant.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:39 am

No-one around (it`s 1am MT) so I can stir the pot!! :lol:

http://www.voxeu.org/article/wine-tasti ... ncompetent
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:44 am

I doubt very much that Aramon reflects terroir. It barely reflects being a grape.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:09 am

Thanks for posting that provocative link, Bob.

The writers are undoubtedly clever men but the report strikes me as superficial. It contains a number of truisms and partial truisms which don't IMO support the headlined conclusion.

Let me give some examples.

Gergaud and Ginsburgh (2008) show that the differences between natural endowments – region, type of soil and its chemical composition, exposure of vineyards – in the Pauillac, Margaux, Saint-Estèphe, Saint-Julien, and Haut-Médoc regions have no effect on the quality of wines.

When I have more time, I'll search for some rebuttals of this startling conclusion.

In fact, Gergaud and Ginsburgh show that the differences in quality ...... are the result of a well-understood choice of grapes that are adapted to soil qualities and weather conditions, as well as the age of the vine and the technologies used to produce the wine, manual operation such as picking and selecting grapes, de-stemming and crushing, and other production processes that follow the harvest.

Surely the words which I highlight are a good example of the importance of terroir as well as of its optimisation?

“a good wine comes from a good grape, good vats, a good cellar and a gentleman who is able to coordinate the various ingredients”

There is an important terroir component in good grapes.

‘Judgment of Paris’2 changed the traditional view shared by experts that only French wines could be of high quality.

Indeed! It trapped a panel of French "experts" into acknowledging the existence of world class terroirs in California.

This implies that Château Mouton-Rothschild and Château Haut-Brion, two French superstars, cannot be distinguished from New Jersey reds, which cost only 5% of their French counterparts.

It could mean that we have some previously undiscovered quality in New Jersey, that the Princeton panel was not very competent, that the methodology was flawed or a bit of all three. I seem to recall that a recent similar panel tasting resulted in some Chinese Cabs being "beating" some top Bordeaux.

This is not much different from professional musicians who are unable to distinguish by listening between a violin built by Stradivari – which would cost up to $4 million – and a new US-made instrument worth a couple of thousand dollars.

I have read some well reasoned criticism of this Strad study and IIRC someone on this board (was it Dale?) had some hard things to say about it.

As has often been shown, the neural representation of experienced pleasantness is determined by the knowledge of the price of a wine (Plassmann et al. 2007). That is, if we think a wine is expensive we perceive its quality as being superior, all other things being equal. This suggests that, on many occasions, quality is not an objective trait of a commodity, it rather seems to be what we want it to be.

To some extent this is a valid point. We have all met label drinkers. And many of us benefit from the fact that fashion gives high prices to certain wine types, like white Burgundy and Bordeaux grands crus, and lower prices to wines which we often actually prefer, e.g. top Riesling, Loire chenin and Northern Rhône (Guigal's super cuvées excepted). The same exists in other spheres, e.g. in music where, for example, Maria Callas used still to get rapturous applause at performances when her voice was in severe decline.

Nevertheless it is a stretch to conclude that this is a universal truth and in particular that it debunks terroir.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

by Victorwine » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi Tim,
(I’m sure this happens to a lot of us). Someone hands you a glass of wine totally blind, and upon tasting it you deem it of “high quality”. If one is knowledgeable enough the grape variety/varieties might be easily recognized. If one is knowledgeable enough about viticulture and vinification (warm climate/hot climate; various viticulture or winemaking) technique might also be easily recognized. If one is knowledgeable enough the country of origin or even the region or village might be easily recognized. But when it comes down too the exact location where the wine was made or its origins things could get quite “fuzzy”. Does this fact alone make the wine less of a “high quality” wine?

Salute
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:20 pm

Mark Lipton wrote:
Brian K Miller wrote:
Dale Williams wrote:I can say Coturri, but saying it makes me queasy.

Maybe Coturri should be distributed by Jenny and Francois? :twisted:

Or the guy (name redacted out of politeness) who brings in Cornelissen. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mark "My Name Ain't Brett" Lipton

Amen.

http://www.winemule.com/2011/07/susucaru-3-natural-with-vengeance.html
Previous