RIP: MikeRobbins/SpringMtnVnyds

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

RIP: MikeRobbins/SpringMtnVnyds

Postby TomHill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:35 pm

Just noticed this in the WS:
MikeRobbins

about the passing of MikeRobbins, founder of SpringMtnVnyd.
I.....followed Mike from the very start. His '69 Cab (from the vnyd there on Hwy29 just North of Beringer, now StClement) was mightly impressive. Even the rain-besotted '72 was very/very good. In the early '70's, he made a LateHrvst CabFranc that was exceptional and lived for several decades.
I did a visit w/ Mike after he bought the property up on SpringMtn and refurbished it. Before it achieved FalconCrest fame. As fine a gentleman as you'd ever want to meet.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Re: RIP: MikeRobbins/SpringMtnVnyds

Postby Steve Edmunds » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:59 pm

Great thing about that '72 Cab was that it was picked before the rain; it was a hot summer that year (my first in the wine business and year my first daughter was born). The Cab Franc was '73. I still have a couple of bottles of that. It's not really very good.
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...
Steve Edmunds
Wine guru

Man....

Postby TomHill » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Steve Edmunds wrote:Great thing about that '72 Cab was that it was picked before the rain; it was a hot summer that year (my first in the wine business and year my first daughter was born). The Cab Franc was '73. I still have a couple of bottles of that. It's not really very good.

Man, Steve...you're a worse wine-hoarder than I am !!! Which is about as bad as it gets. :-)
You're right..the CabFranc was a '73. I had my last one around '90 and thought it was still pretty good....along the lines
of some of the Mayacamas LateHrvst Zins of that era.
Tom
TomHill
Here From the Very Start

Postby Dale Williams » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:08 pm

A couple years ago a friend put together a retro of older CalCabs to show Neal Martin what old school Cali could taste like. There was a Spring Mtn Cabernet Sauvignon flight, the 78 corked, the 77 good, but the 73 was contender for WOTN in stiff competitions.

Last year had NV Spring Mountain “Lot H 68.69.LN” Cabernet Sauvignon (supposed to be a combination of 1968 and 1969 Heitz fruit sold off to help cash flow, with the LN standing for the oak treatment - Limousin/Nevers).Excellent.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Postby Craig Winchell » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:20 pm

I'm surprised you still had any of that lot 6869. I last had it in the early '80s.
Craig Winchell
Wine guru

Postby Dale Williams » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Craig Winchell wrote:I'm surprised you still had any of that lot 6869. I last had it in the early '80s.

Wasn't mine! At a dinner- host is younger than me (wasn't born in 1969) but worked for a wine auction house, not sure where he acquired. Very lively though.
Dale Williams
Compassionate Connoisseur

Return to The Wine Forum