The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Slew of Savignys

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mark Golodetz

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:55 am

Re: TN: Slew of Savignys

by Mark Golodetz » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:57 pm

Coming in a little late I am afraid, but Dale's notes and mine are similar apart from the 1995 Narbantons, which he liked and I thought was a little simple. But overall, I think the tasting showed how well Savigny does both as a young drinking wine and also a wine that can age well. I would also probably add that Savignys are not a cheap alternative to more expensive wines of the Cote de Nuits, but have a very distinct personality, and well worth enjoying for themselves.

I was a little underwhelmed by the Pavelts. They are certainly pleasant but I don't get the same sense of longevity that I have found in previous vintages. Similar experiences with young Ecards, which I understand happened, when the son took over from the father. So the mantle is moving away from the top growers to the better negotiants. Like Dale, I was impressed by the immediate pleasures of Drouhin's Godot. For me, it required little waiting time. Jadot is serious long termed wines. The Bouchard was a little bubble gummy, and had the sweet Bouchard character which some seem to like.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:51 am

Savigny and no Bize?? Duuude...
If this were a poll, I'd say it was flawed. :twisted:
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 am

Mark S wrote:Savigny and no Bize?? Duuude...
If this were a poll, I'd say it was flawed. :twisted:

I'm a big Bize fan (post tasting we had a discussion of producers to look, Bize and Chandon de Briailles were my suggested additions). But a limit to what you can fit into 3 flights. I thought for an introduction to Savigny (a more Bdx-centric group) this was a brilliant plan:
here are 3 young wines from a good producer , with a village and 2 1ers
here are 3 wines from negociants with varying styles, all from one vintage
here are 3 examples of the wines with age.
Previous