The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Turkey Day Wine Faves

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Turkey Day Wine Faves

by JC (NC) » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:39 pm

I took to the dinner a 2003 TRIMBACH GEWURZTRAMINER which disappointed (another vintage would have been quite different I believe) and a 2000 JAYER-GILLES COTE DE NUITS-VILLAGES (Burgundy) which did not disappoint.

The red Burgundy was a light to medium crimson color with some transparency. Nose of vibrant dark cherries and violets. Cherries, perhaps chocolate cherries, on the palate with a very light touch of clove.
Long-lasting finish. Rich and fulfilling. Definitely not closed down. More floral and fruit-filled than the 1999 version which had wonderful bacon fat and animal nuances. The 2000 married well with the turkey, cranberry-orange relish and other dishes. I consider both the 1999 and 2000 very enjoyable wines and good QPR (quality-to-price) ration although certainly not cheap.
Last edited by JC (NC) on Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:35 pm

AaronW. wrote:An Email I recently received from Hitimewine.net:

New Zealand

NINTH ISLAND 2005 PINOT NOIR, TASMANIA $12.98 [#377189]

Hi Aaron,
Perhaps you could let Hitime Cellars know that Tasmania is in Australia. We call it the Left Island, not the Ninth Island.
Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

AaronW

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Just south of SLC

by AaronW » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:32 am

Sue Courtney wrote:
AaronW. wrote:An Email I recently received from Hitimewine.net:

New Zealand

NINTH ISLAND 2005 PINOT NOIR, TASMANIA $12.98 [#377189]

Hi Aaron,
Perhaps you could let Hitime Cellars know that Tasmania is in Australia. We call it the Left Island, not the Ninth Island.
Cheers,
Sue

Sue, I did some research. You're absolutely right - Tasmania is in Australia. I checked out HiTime's listing of the "Ninth Island" stuff and did actually find it in the Aussie list of wines, so they obviously messed up with their ad. Although, I have discovered that when Australian wines and New Zealand wines are listed, either on a wine list or in a wine ad, they are very often listed very close to each other or next to each other, or even together as "Australia/New Zealand". So, giving HiTime the benefit of the doubt, they probably just forgot the - " /Australia" - part of their ad. On the other hand, no doubt being a self respecting reputable wine merchant, they ought to take the time to get it right with the differentiation. I will confess, however, that I have caught myself confusing Aussie wines for NZ wines and vice-versa once in awhile, but just in conversation, or trying to recall certain labels. I most definitely know how differentiate when I go to buy a bottle. Guess It's just because of the part of the world they're both located and due to the fact that I need to brush up on my geography a bit. Well Sue, hope this has been informative - it certainly has been for me. Later, Aaron.

P.S. "Ninth Island" refers to the vineyard, not the actual island of Tasmania.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:16 am

Early on in my exploration of wines from that region of the world I ascribed Kim Crawford wines to Australia, not New Zealand, and was corrected. I try to be more careful now. I think the other day I confused a Dutch cheese for an Italian cheese because the name sounded like it might be Italian.
Previous