Tried these three Gruners over the weekend:
1. Machherndl GrunerVeltliner Kollmutz/Wachau (Federspeil; EB; 12.5%; www.Broadbent.com) 2009
: Med.light gold color; fairly fragrant/perfumed strong peppery/GV/floral/spicy/carnations nose; bit spritz/CO2 somewhat soft light floral/GV/peppery 7Up/Sprite pleasant if light flavor; med.short bit spritzy soft maybe off-dry pleasant/floral/GV/peppery finish; a pleasant enough GV at a fair price but just that. $16.50 (KK)
2. Carlisle GrunerVeltliner SteinerVnyd/SonomaMtn (14.1%; 100 cs) 2011
: Med.gold color; quite fragrant spicy/GV/light peppery strong GV-varietal very aromatic nose; slightly tart rather rich/lush fairily peppery/floral/GV/carnations quite spicy light stony/mineral balanced really lovely flavor; rather long fragrant/floral/carnations/GV/peppery quite spicy rather rich/lush balanced finish; not a profound wine but really pretty and good drinking and speaks strongly of GV; a fun wine and great first effort by Mike. $34.00
3. Weingut Knoll GrunerVeltliner RiedKreutles/Loibner (Smaragd; 13.5%; L-N: 7131/12; CircoVino/Tuscon) Unter-Loiben/Wachau 2011
: Med.light gold color; very intense pineapply/grapey/floral/huge fruit bit spicy rather Auslese0like R nose; off-dry rich/lush spicy/floral/GV/pineapply/very ripe soft bit spritz some spicy/7Up quite rich flavor; very long soft rich/lush very ripe/pineapply/floral/spicy light earthy some 7Up/Sprite/lemony finish; a very rich/ripe wine more like an Auslese Riesling and lacks the bright/peppery character of GV that I so like; will probably go out 10-20 yrs; would like a bit more acidity. $38.00 (SFW&S)
A wee BloodyPulpit:
1. MikeOfficer is a big GV fan and got them to plant some some for him in the SteinerVnyd. This was his first official release (I believe he made a tiny amount in 2010) of wine from those grapes and I was eager to try it so I pulled a btl out of my stash when it arrived on Thursday. I made sure to save some and toured the remains to some of the Carlisle fans here in LosAlamos (of which there are many)....sorta like KingTut's body gets dragged around the world and put on display.
I thought thiis was a very good first effort by Mike with GV. It's rich/lush character spoke of Calif, but it was distinctly GV in character. A real pleasure to drink.
2. I, too, am a big GV fan. Followed it from the very start in Calif. The Zocker/EdnaVlly GV is quite a pleasant GV, but just that. I like DonSchroeder's Chien GV quite a lot as well. The first one (I believe) was the vonStrasser/NapaVlly GV, which was priced at $60/btl. It was a joke at that price. Since then, they've dropped the price down to $40/btl I recall. Sometimes the marketplace can make its opinions known...sometimes not.