The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Burgundy and Three Loires

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: A Burgundy and Three Loires

by Saina » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:00 pm

Albert Morot Beaune 1er Cru Les Toussaints 1997
I've liked how open some '97 from even producers like Gouges have been recently. So I was certain this Morot was going be fun drinking. But this actually shows all the signs of being a closed wine that still needs time to bloom. Aromatically there is a touch of oakspice still showing, but mostly there are just some tart, inexpressive red berry aromas. Every now and again over the evening I see tantalizing hints of sexy, beetroot-like Pinosity but these are rare moments. It is quite a rugged and rich wine with plenty of grip and lots of fruit. Nice freshness on the finish; interminable finish. The palate is that of a young, serious and good Burgundy. Though I don't understand why this Morot seems so closed aromatically if even Montille and Gouges give pleasure already in this vintage.

Ampelidae Sauvignon Marigny-Neuf 2010
If one enjoys Sauvignon (I usually don't) this is pretty awesome value: very pure and clean and refreshing and varietally true aromas. Nice acidity, crisp. Fruity but not in an over-the-top NZ style. Clean and mineral on the finish. The only thing I dislike about the wine is that it is varietally true, but that's my problem, not a problem with the wine.

Clos Roche Blanche Cuvée Pif 2010
A blend of Cabernet Franc and Côt (Malbec); wonderful stuff: leafy but ripe; racy and refreshing though well structured. I really love CRB.

Yannick Amirault Bourgueil Le Grand Clos 2008

I had one of these a couple months ago and I felt it had started to drink well, though it was still a young wine. This time however this seemed shut down again: a bit of oak, dark inky, inexpressive fruit; hard and tannic. Not at all like my previous experience of the wine.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.