The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Some recent wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bruce Hayes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:20 am

Prescott, Ontario, Canada

WTN: Some recent wines

by Bruce Hayes » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:15 am

Ajello Grillo-Catarratto 2004: From Majus winery in Sicily. Light to medium-yellow color. Lightly stinky cheese nose, with some sea salt. Tart apples and lemon, with a slight creamy sensation in the mouth. Bitterness on the finish makes it a great cleansing food wine, but I don't think this would be a good wine to serve on its own. Worked quite well with BBQed salmon.

Caso De Campo Shiraz 2003: From Bodegas Santa Ana. Cuyo Valley, Argentina. Very dark purple in the glass. Sweet oak, chocolate and red licorice on the nose. Rich black cherry fruit, Christmas cake spice, menthol, tart acidity, red licorice with some heat on the finish. With time the hot finish grew in intensity and duration. An excellent wine, ruined by a burning finish.

Le Freak Shiraz-Viognier 2004: From Guy Anderson wines. Vin De Pays D'Oc. I may not buy wines that feature cute and cuddly animals on the label, but I am sucker for odd names. Good, dark cherry red color. Sweet fruit and peppery on the nose. Very soft and lush mouthfeel, leather, floral notes, blood pudding, beets, not much in the way of fruit. An odd iron-iodine finish. A strange wine.

Yali Sauvignon Blanc Reserve 2004: Casablanca Valley. Light yellow-green in the glass. Pine resin, veg and pepper on the nose. Crisp, lemon-lime, strong veggy notes which persist through to the finish, pine resin. Fairly rich with a peppery, mouthwatering finish.