The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

April Wine Focus - Pinot Noir from Anywhere!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: April Wine Focus - Pinot Noir from Anywhere!

by Shaji M » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:10 pm

2010 Francis Ford Coppola "Director's Cut" Pinot Noir.
I thought this might be gimmicky. However, it was more than a good quaffer. Cherries, cola, roses, tea leaves. Quite a nice finish. Although predominantly Russian River fruit, I was told that there is enough Carneros fruit in here to lend some weight. Not a profound wine, but at $27, it's a decent value
-Shaji
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 am

Gimmicky name. Glad the wine was good.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:57 pm

Jenise wrote:We opened a 2009 St. Innocent Momtazi a few weeks ago, David. LOVED it. It's greener than Oregon pinots usually are, but it's green like tomato-leaf green in the way of Santa Rita Hills/Santa Barbara pinots--the underlying fruit wasn't underripe. I thought that gave it terrific character.

The 2009 Momtazi is one of my favorite SI wines. The flavors that jump out of the glass match the wild and unruly terrain of the area (I'm normally not this romantic about terroir, but nowhere else I have visited seems to ring so true - the drive from McMinnville to Momtazi Vineyard is straight out of LOTR's Fangorn Forest!). I love the bay leaf and cornichon herbal flavors that dominate, with subtle cherry notes in the background. Perhaps the most distinct site in all of Willamette Valley - I feel I could pick Momtazi out of a blind lineup a mile away.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:02 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:the drive from McMinnville to Momtazi Vineyard is straight out of LOTR's Fangorn Forest!

Did an Ent step on your car?

I enjoy the Momtazi Pinots. Unfortunately the 2007 from that site was a green mess. Others have been delicious.
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:31 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Did an Ent step on your car?

One narrowly missed us, but since we were in a Prius, I think it knew we weren't there to destroy the trees. :lol: The moss covers the trees there so thickly, you might mistake one for Treebeard.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:The 2009 Momtazi is one of my favorite SI wines. The flavors that jump out of the glass match the wild and unruly terrain of the area (I'm normally not this romantic about terroir, but nowhere else I have visited seems to ring so true - the drive from McMinnville to Momtazi Vineyard is straight out of LOTR's Fangorn Forest!). I love the bay leaf and cornichon herbal flavors that dominate, with subtle cherry notes in the background. Perhaps the most distinct site in all of Willamette Valley - I feel I could pick Momtazi out of a blind lineup a mile away.

It was your mentioning the Momtazi in another thread sometime back that caused me to notice the two bottles of 09 sitting on a local grocer's shelf (for only $32), so I'm very much in your debt for this good experience. I've not bought any St. Innocent since the 05 vintage, though for the longest time previous to that I was one of their biggest fans and a longtime wine club member. I quit when the winemaker/owner refused to replace two corked bottles, though in fact he readily replaces corked bottles when asked by males. Grrrr.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Jenise wrote:We opened a 2009 St. Innocent Momtazi a few weeks ago, David. LOVED it. It's greener than Oregon pinots usually are, but it's green like tomato-leaf green in the way of Santa Rita Hills/Santa Barbara pinots--the underlying fruit wasn't underripe. I thought that gave it terrific character.

I really like most St. Innocent PNs and wish I could get my hands on them more often; they're just hard to find near me.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:22 pm

The 2009 Debiase Russian River Valley Pinot Noir was outstanding tonight. Spicy cola and dark red fruit. Yum.
no avatar
User

Lars Carlberg

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:15 pm

Trier, Germany

by Lars Carlberg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:57 am

This morning, I came across a piece from Brooklynguy, who happens to write about this topic and highlights Enderle & Moll's 2009 Pinot Noir Buntsandstein. http://brooklynguyloveswine.blogspot.de ... -that.html
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:16 pm

Jenise wrote:It was your mentioning the Momtazi in another thread sometime back that caused me to notice the two bottles of 09 sitting on a local grocer's shelf (for only $32), so I'm very much in your debt for this good experience

Glad I could be of service! :) I don't generally go out of my way to find SI wines - for the price, I think there are much better expressions of AVA specific Willamette Valley Pinot out there. Momtazi is the exception. The funny thing is, I prefer the SI Momtazi to anything from Maysara (the winery owned by the Momtazi family).
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:52 pm

Covering both last month's WF and this one, last night we opened with roast chicken:

2006 Dom. Dupasquier Vin de Savoie Pinot which was light in color, but vibrant in flavor. This had classic Pinot Noir fruit in a light-bodied, sprightly package with a hint of smoke and plenty of minerality. Just a pleasure to drink.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

WTN: 2011 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:59 am

2011 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Garys' Vineyard
Garys' Vineyard has always been my favorite bottling from Loring. This wine continues that streak. Lots of deep fruit that never verges over to the syrupy. The balance is very good, and the finish long and full of dark fruit. Low tannin so drink relatively soon - say over the next 3-4 years.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:00 pm

2009 Chalone Vineyard Estate Grown Pinot Noir (Gavilan Mountains, Monterey County, CA). Part of the Chalone AVA is in San Benito County, CA. 14.5% abv. A vineyard on the Chalone Bench about 1800 feet of elevation in the Gavilan Mountains. Reddish soil underlain by limestone. Purple-red color nearly opaque. Slightly sour cherries and a bit of earthiness. Best slightly chilled. Okay with Cheshire cheese. Rather lengthy finish. An article about the Chalone AVA says that the wines show at their best when at least five years old and can age for ten or more years. I have three more bottles and will hold them for a couple years before retrying.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:18 pm

JC-you do not sound terribly enthused.

2007 Domaine Dujac Morey St Denis
Very pale and totally translucent. Tart berry over even more tart minerality. Very fine with food. Lousy QPR. Thankfully I did not pay for it.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:24 pm

Was out last night at a work dinner and I decided to choose the 2006 Rene Leclerc Gevrey-Chambertin. I knew my colleagues would prefer something heartier but I also knew that they wouldn't really care that much, and they were starting with cocktails while I passed in honor of my 30 minute drive afterwards. Anyway, I don't buy Leclerc but was curious how an 06 would be doing. It was a fine restaurant wine, nothing too complicated and nothing too wound up in any sort of structure. I was expecting something either glossier or meatier but it was simple and unassuming and the evening continued.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:25 pm

Had a 2010 Siduri Russian River just this evening, and a 2010 Norton Ridge two weeks ago. Both were gifts from a friend, and both were quite enjoyable. The Siduri had very forward cherry notes which carried through on the nose and palate, but not to the point of being "jammy". I hope my friend gives me more!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:19 am

IMO, Pinot Noir coming in at 14.5% alcohol should be a crime.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:22 am

Yeah, but it's like the Woody Allen quote: "Sex without love is a meaningless experience. But as far as meaningless experiences go, its pretty damn good."

On the sliding scale of crimes, high alcohol Pinot Noirs are pretty far down there for me. Especially as it's a "beggers/choosers" conundrum over here these days :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:28 am

Tom NJ wrote:Had a 2010 Siduri Russian River just this evening, and a 2010 Norton Ridge two weeks ago. Both were gifts from a friend, and both were quite enjoyable. The Siduri had very forward cherry notes which carried through on the nose and palate, but not to the point of being "jammy". I hope my friend gives me more!

Tom, good to see you! Hope your kitchen of many colored pans (something like Joseph's dream coat, but more useful?) is doing well.

Good to see Siduri mentioned. Adam Lee has done good things. Once upon a time, the wine internet was a tiny place and the guy who makes Siduri, Adam Lee, was just another poster along with Robin, me and others you'll meet here. He worked at Benziger, and talked about his plan to start making his own pinot noir. He wanted to be the next William Selyam. He finally made one barrel, and we his internet friends were among his first customers. I bought a six pack. I believe it was the '94 vintage and I know the grapes were from a cooler site in the Anderson Valley, either the Cerise or Rose vineyard. Anyway, the wine was stunning and he's been doing great work ever since. His wines very accurately capture the personality of the vineyards he works with and I know he's done a lot of experimenting with different yeasts and barrels in order to fine-tune his product. Quite admirable. Yeah, the alcohols are usually on the high side, but he has a boatload of customers who don't think that's a problem.

Joy, have you tried any Arcadian pinots?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Denver, CO

by Joy Lindholm » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Joy, have you tried any Arcadian pinots?

I have not - I don't believe they are available in Nebraska. I must admit, I shy away from most CA Pinot Noir (apart from Au Bon Climat, Lioco and a handful of others). I know there are some balanced, elegant CA Pinots out there, but they are hard to find here. Sadly, most examples we get are Pinots trying to be Zins.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:38 pm

David, you are correct. I wasn't very enthused with the Chalone Pinot Noir--I liked it better tasting it at the shop than after I got it home. Regretting buying four bottles. I like the DeBiase so much better! Glad I still have some of those.

Rahsaan, I haven't had any Rene Leclerc wines lately but in past years found them a reasonably priced source of Burgundies. I am editing this because I realize the Clos de Beze I was remembering was from Domaine Jean Raphet, not Rene Leclerc. I am not sure what Rene Leclerc wines I had in the past.

Joy, I like Lioco Pinots too, especially the Michaud Vineyard (Chalone AVA?)
Last edited by JC (NC) on Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:45 pm

Sancerre 2010 (R) - Gérard Boulay - (€18). This is a French red from Pinot Noir which is not a Burgundy; there are others in the Jura, Alsace, Champagne, Savoie and even in Languedoc. It was poured at a tasting this afternoon.
Colour was a not very dense purple tinted red. The nose was discreet but with cherry hint. The medium/light bodied and linear shaped palate showed some very pure and attractive Pinot fruit, minerals and mouth-wateringly lively acidity together with a polish which was missing in the Beaujolais which I had been tasting earlier, delicious though those were in a more homespun way. I don't reckon that this will benefit much from more age as it is so approachable now. Good 15.5/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Jenise wrote:Hope your kitchen of many colored pans (something like Joseph's dream coat, but more useful, is doing well."

Hi Jenise!!

I can't believe you remember me, let alone my cupboard! Sad to say, the late Mr. Rogov's quote in your sig came true for me shortly after my last post here - I clung on as long as I could after the Crash of '08, but finally went under. They took almost everything I had other than my house, a car, and...my Pans Of Many Colors! Fools! If only they'd known. So yeah, it's still a riot of enameled colors everywhere you look in my kitchen :D

Wow, I had no idea Siduri had such a pedigree! What a fascinating backstory. That is too cool! I can see why those "boatloads" are on board despite the 14%. It really was a tasty wine. I hope someday I can try others.
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Joy Lindholm wrote:I shy away from most CA Pinot Noir (apart from Au Bon Climat....

Years ago, when NJ still allowed direct shipments of wine to consumers from out of state, I joined Bruce Cass' "The Winewrights Register". One of the bottles in the first batch I ordered was the 1985 Au Bon Climat Los Alamos Vyd. TWELVE DOLLARS! I still have the 1987 edition of the Register from which I ordered it, and it's in front of me now. It says their Oregon Pinot Noir and '86 Chadonnay (Los Alamos) were the exact same price. Oh, that I wasn't a student on a budget at the time. And could see into the future! I would have ordered cases.

Several of the wineries listed in the Register have gone from almost micro-producers to nationally available, particularly Ravenswood (which had just jumped from 500 cases/year at its start in 1976 to almost 7,000 cases/year at time of the Register's '87 edition), Mt. Veeder and Storybook Mountain (which I served at my wedding). But the prices are what really kills me. I used to love Matanzas Creek when Merry Edwards was there, especially - and I'm ashamed almost to admit this now, as it's so declasse these days - her big, oaky Chards. When she left them and started Merry Vintners, she was asking $9.75/btl for her '85 regular Chardonnay, and $14.75 for the Reserve. My local wine store carries her regular for something like 45 bucks now! I haven't tasted it in years :(
PreviousNext