The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1985 Dalsheimer Steig Siegerrebe Beerenauslese, Shales

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

WTN: 1985 Dalsheimer Steig Siegerrebe Beerenauslese, Shales

by Paul Winalski » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:32 pm

I bought half a case of this wine when it was first released, and drank it up when it was rather young. In the 1990s it was a pleasant and enjoyable sweet wine, but nothing to write home about.

I just now happened to notice the last bottle lurking in a corner of my cellar. I wasn't expecting very much, given that this is Siegerrebe (a grape that produces lots of sugar, but isn't noted for aroma or flavor or acidity), and that it's twenty-seven years past the vintage date.

I was pleasantly surprised.

The color is the full burnished gold that you expect from mature German Beerenauslese. The aroma is what you'd expect from Siegerrebe--shy, with lemon nuances, not the complexity you'd get from Riesling. There's some of the tell-tale botrytis shoe-polish in the aroma, as well. In the mouth the wine has a thick, glycerine-like texture, and complex citrus-and-botrytis flavors, with some tropical fruits. There's enough acidity to insure that the flavors dance on the palate for about a minute after you swallow the mouthful of wine.

Double Larry Curly. Punching well above its weight, and a very pleasant surprise. If you're fortunate enough to have any of this in your cellar, there doesn't seem to be any hurry to drink this up.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 1985 Dalsheimer Steig Siegerrebe Beerenauslese, Shales

by David M. Bueker » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:40 pm

And here I thought I was the only one who drank Siegerrebe.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

by Jim Grow » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:58 pm

No David, you are not the only one. I have not seen this varietal in my area for many years but remember buying some from Shales out of Chicago I think many years ago. Certainly exotic , even over-the-top, flavors but much to my liking. I never thought they would age so long.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:48 pm

That's some wacky stuff. Thanks for the note.