The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Rosé is OKAY

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Rosé is OKAY

by James Roscoe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:37 am

These are the rosés I was pouring at my store this weekend. They were all quite good. The in bold are mine. The initial stuff comes from the tasting sheet which undoubtedly was pulled off of some marketing sites.
Chateau Pigoudet Rosé de Provence 2012
Pale salmon color, lovely expressive aromas of Citrus, melon, peach and red fruits, it is everything we love in a rose! Crisp, vibrant and refreshing. Chateau Pigoudet uses natural yeast on fruit from 35-year-old vines that are sustainably farmed. This was very simple. Probably the most refreshing of the bunch. We sold a lot of this.
Regular Price: $13.99 Tasting Special: $11.99

Hugues de Beauvignac Rosé of Syrah 2012
100% Syrah, bled off the skins after 8 hours of maceration. Pink colored, firm in the style of a Tavel rose, the wine shows strawberry aromas, candy notes on the nose and cherry and pomegranate flavors on the palate. The wine is silky, elegant, crisp and refreshing. This was fairly full-bodied although simple. We sold a ton of this given the price point. It was quite good.
Regular Price: $8.99 Tasting Special: $7.49

Domaine de la Mordoree Rosé 2012
Notes of watermelon intermixed with raspberries and strawberries jump from the glass of this fresh, lively, amazingly concentrated, dry rose. This serious wine sets the standard for what Marselan and Merlot can do. (50% Marselan and 50% Merlot) This may have been the best QPR. It was very complex. The crowds liked it a lot. I am not familiar with the Marselan grape. Perhaps someone could fill me in so I can be more intelligent next time. This was a really lovely wine.
Regular Price: $11.99 Tasting Special: $9.99

Ameztoi Rubentis Rosé Txakoli 2012
Ameztoi produces some of the tastiest, most representative and classic txakoli: the delicious, bright, slightly petillant (fizzy), low alcohol wines which are consumed like water in Spanish Euskadi (Basque Country). Candied red fruits combine with a lime I mean really? infused edge makes this a wildly intriguing rosé. 50% Hondarribi Beltza and 50% Hondarribi Zuri. We sold none of this. It was too off-putting for the clientele we have. It is a huge acid bomb. It would have been my favorite of the bunchexcept for the sneaky American rosé.
Regular Price: $19.99 Tasting Special: $16.99

Edmunds St John ‘Bone Jolly’ Gamay Rosé 2012
Steve Edmunds is one of those wise Californians who sources grapes from places they should be grown, i.e. Gamay on volcanic soils, which produces his delicious Rosé Bone Jolly. Lovely, juicy red fruits with good acidity, uber-refreshing. Clearly the most complex, and best tasting wine of the weekend. The only reason we didn't sell more was the price. I have one major complaint about this wine though. It doesn't come with UPC codes!!! WTF???? Some poor schlep working for nearly minimum wage has to go put a bar code on every bottle in the store? Come on! It's 2013, not 1913!
Regular Price: $19.99 Tasting Special: $16.99
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Keith M

Rank

Beer Explorer

Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:25 am

Finger Lakes, New York

Re: Rosé is OKAY

by Keith M » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:09 pm

James Roscoe wrote:These are the rosés I was pouring at my store this weekend.

What store? Looks like quite a refreshing tasting!
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Keith M wrote:
James Roscoe wrote:These are the rosés I was pouring at my store this weekend.

What store? Looks like quite a refreshing tasting!

I work weekends at a store in Beltsville, MD which is in the DC suburbs. The store is called Old Line.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Thanks for the notes, James. We are getting into the rose' season. I have a Zweigelt rose' from Austria on hand, a couple Sangiovese rose from Washington State that I bought last summer and hope are still fresh plus a couple French rose' that may be tired by now. I'm on the lookout for Muga rose' from Spain and some more French selections.