The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2011 20 Bees Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:43 pm

Screwcap closure; 12.5% alc./vol.

The wine pours with a beautiful dark garnet core and leaves a magenta meniscus. The aromas are very Baco - but more in a fruity rather than funky way: bright raspberries cloaked in cherries; crispy bacon aromas round it all out. Tart, juicy, invigoratingly brisk entry; mouth-filling, cleansing acidity dominates the texture. Light bodied and tartish, but balanced. Diminutive tannins carry through on the mid-palate, and are followed by a wave of warmth across the aft-palate. The flavours all but peter out at this point; there is no strong or dominant flavour on the finish. I cannot pick up any oak in this wine.

This light Baco was purchased for less than ten bucks on general list at the LCBO. It would make a very decent pizza wine. As with all Bacos, it has that palate-cleansing quality that is particularly good if you're having cuts of meat that have some fat on them.
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

Re: WTN: 2011 20 Bees Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:20 am

20 Bees seem to have slipped off the radar in my area.
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:38 am

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: 2011 20 Bees Baco Noir (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:11 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:20 Bees seem to have slipped off the radar in my area.

Bob,

I was kind of surprised to see it myself; you see, the 20 Bees Baco had not been featured in my nearby store for quite some time. In fact, I had lost the data point in my mind as to how this one tasted.

It was quite alright - though I will opine quite forcefully that Baco always does better when given some time (8-12 months) in oak...