The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Ridge Geyserville

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2007 Ridge Geyserville

by Jenise » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Needed something to go with Santa Fe style green-chili burgers, and this was perfect. PnP'd, the wine showed immediate notes of brambly plum and leather. However, it lacked the bright tanginess that I expected on the mid-palate and instead had a heavier note there more like chocolate. Drank very cabbish, IOW, and that impression was consistent from first taste to last. Enjoyed it immensely, but question if it has the stuffing to become a geezer.

Anyone have any recent thoughts?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2007 Ridge Geyserville

by David M. Bueker » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:05 pm

Have not had the '07 since I blew through my 375s. Didn't buy 750s that year. Of recent vintages I have experience with, I would go for '09 for true Geyserville ageability.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:11 pm

I have a case of '07's here and a few at the Ocean where we're going this weekend to launch the boat for the season. I'll see if I can convince my wife and her girl friend to join me in sharing a bottle. :wink:

Drew
no avatar
User

Patrick Martin

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:28 am

by Patrick Martin » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:59 pm

I loved the 07 Geyserville on release and went long... but my last two bottles in 2011 and 2012 seemed flat, lacking tension and energy. Sounds like yours showed similarly.

I decided to put my remaining bottles aside and see if they just need more time (since Ridge zins show best at 7-12 years, IMHO).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:02 am

Patrick Martin wrote:but my last two bottles in 2011 and 2012 seemed flat, lacking tension and energy. Sounds like yours showed similarly.

Excellent way to put it. Not bad wine at all, just not it's usual self.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 pm

Everbody including myself were convinced that the 07 was a great Geezer, so I put a full case in my cellar. I will now make a note to pull one out when the opportunity arises and see whats, what. :?:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:12 pm

Look forward to your point of view, Lou.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:39 pm

I have only one of the 375 ml and one regular size bottle so hope to see notes from Lou or Drew to give a clue what to do...drink up or hold?
no avatar
User

Tom Troiano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:22 pm

Massachusetts

by Tom Troiano » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:51 am

JC (NC) wrote:...drink up or hold?

I would strongly recommend hold to 2017 or so.
Tom T.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Thoughts???

by TomHill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 am

Jenise wrote:Needed something to go with Santa Fe style green-chili burgers, and this was perfect.
Anyone have any recent thoughts?

Thoughts?? Moi??? Of course....
I think you should come to SantaFe so you can get a real Green-Chile burger, Jenise. I'll open up a '58 Geyserville for you to go with it!!!!! :-)

I haven't had the '07 Geezer in probably 3 yrs now...but I thought, across the board, Ridge did a particularly good job w/ their '07's. Will have to pull a btl.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Tom, my green chile burgers are pretty real! Spending August in New Mexico changed me forever, and I roast/freeze 25 lbs of Hatch green chiles every summer now (Big Jims or Sandias). However, I will grant you that a green chile will always taste better in Santa Fe than anywhere else on the planet. And with a '58 Geeze? How could I resist!
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Well.....

by TomHill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:24 pm

Jenise wrote:Tom, my green chile burgers are pretty real! Spending August in New Mexico changed me forever, and I roast/freeze 25 lbs of Hatch green chiles every summer now (Big Jims or Sandias). However, I will grant you that a green chile will always taste better in Santa Fe than anywhere else on the planet. And with a '58 Geeze? How could I resist!

Well, Jenise.....being as you're from the NW...I was assuming your green-chile burgers were made from tofu on spelt buns!!! An abomination if there ever were one. :-)
So you do know of what you speak if you're roasting your own Hatch green chile. That's a lot of work unless you have your own chile roaster.
But the offer still stands. Alas, '58 was well before Ridge and therefore no '58 Geezer. But I bet I could find something
appropriate if you're down here.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Re: Well.....

by Jenise » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:46 pm

TomHill wrote:Well, Jenise.....being as you're from the NW...I was assuming your green-chile burgers were made from tofu on spelt buns!!! An abomination if there ever were one. :-)
So you do know of what you speak if you're roasting your own Hatch green chile. That's a lot of work unless you have your own chile roaster.
But the offer still stands. Alas, '58 was well before Ridge and therefore no '58 Geezer. But I bet I could find something
appropriate if you're down here.
Tom

Your concerns weren't without merit, but alas, I surpass local expectations. :) And, yes, it takes awhile to roast all those but August here is pure heaven and we just roll the barbecue over to the beach side of the house and make a day of it. We like to get 50 lbs or so and invite three or four couples over to roast/pack with us and make an all-day New Mexican kind of meal to go with it. Everybody takes home some chiles. And yes, you would have something interesting I know! Need to get back down there one of these days, and will certainly hold you to this if I do!
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:19 pm

Hey do any of you feel slighted that Tom invited Jenise to Santa Fe but none of us guys? :( I'm beginning to develop an inferiority complex.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

And....

by TomHill » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Hey do any of you feel slighted that Tom invited Jenise to Santa Fe but none of us guys? :( I'm beginning to develop an inferiority complex.

And rightfully you should, Lou!!!
You, and anybody else, are always/always welcome to share a glass of whatever I have anytime you come to SantaFe.
I'd say about 3-4 times a yr. someone from the wine boards drops by. Met some pretty nifty people that way.
And...BTW...I love Cassoulet!!! :-)
Tom