The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Dinner @ Le Soufflé (Paris).

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Dinner @ Le Soufflé (Paris).

by Noel Ermitano » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:29 am

Tuesday, the 9th April 2013, after driving the family around France for two weeks, and, taking the kids around Paris and attending the gala the day before, I guess Catha took pity on me (either that or I was getting to be really surly and she didn't want to be around me) and told me I could have the day off, so she'd, on her own, take the kids to Our Lady of Notre Dame Church, the Conciergerie, lunch, etc.

Thus, I just stayed in the apartment, surfed, relaxed, had a snack at a nearby café, and, when I got bored in the afternoon, went to Le Bon Marché. She texted late in the afternoon that they were having merienda at Maison Berthillon and would be going back to the apartment after that. That evening, we headed off to the 1st arrondissement (where I prefer to stay in Paris) to have dinner at Le Soufflé (36 rue Mont Thabor 75001 Paris, France). We first ate there in July 2006 (it's been around for 52 years) and eat there at least once whenever in Paris.

As its name indicates, the restaurant is famous for its soufflés, having all-soufflé menus available. I had that once several years ago, and, though I enjoyed it well enough, that was just too much soufflé for me. Mauro, however, went for one of the tout soufflé menus. he started off with the Soufflé Fromage (Emmental et Comté).

Lorenzo & I each had the Onion Soup - absolutely superb, and perfect for the cold, rainy night.

Joaqi started with the House-made Saumon Fumé.

Catha started and ended with the Langoustine Soufflé.

For his main course, Mauro had the Soufflé Henri IV with Chicken-Mushroom Sauce.

Joaqi's Soufflé Jambon et Fromage (Ham & Cheese Soufflé) which he said was boring.

Lorenzo & I each had an order of of Magret de Canard aux Pêches (Duck Breast with Peaches). It was nice enough for me, still soft and a bit juicy though cooked more than I specified. Lorenzo, however, didn't really like the combination with the peaches.

The bottle of basic, village level 2008 Jadot Gevrey-Chambertin was actually nicer than I had expected (I wanted something better and older, but the restaurant's wine list wasn't as good as it used to be). Pretty decent concentration and depth in the dark berries, underlying round, earthy dark plum, bit of sappiness, bit of violets, slight minerality, hints of tobacco leaf, and cedar. A few notches over medium-bodied. Moderately long finish. Not bad in itself, and reasonably priced.

Lorenzo's Raspberry Soufflé.

Mauro's Pistachio Soufflé w/ Chocolate Sauce.

A couple of Chocolate Soufflés w/ Chocolate Sauce for Joaqi & I.

Nice, comforting family dinner. Cheers!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Dinner @ Le Soufflé (Paris).

by Jenise » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Did you think the food had gone downhill since your last visit along with the wine list? I cannot imagine a restaurant where the lowering of care and attention to detail that results in one would not also be experienced in the other.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Noel Ermitano

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:28 am

Re: Dinner @ Le Soufflé (Paris).

by Noel Ermitano » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:26 pm

Jenise wrote:Did you think the food had gone downhill since your last visit along with the wine list? I cannot imagine a restaurant where the care and attention to detail that results in one would not also be experienced in the other.

Well, the food wasn't as good as before, but not by much. It holds nostalgia for Catha and I though, so I give it slack. It's still good though for a casual meal.

Best,

N