The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2009 Pierre Gonon Saint Joseph

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:47 pm

WTN: 2009 Pierre Gonon Saint Joseph

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:06 pm

I was fortunate to attend a dinner last week with about 9 various Gonon wines from 1989 through 2011. I brought the 2010, but took home the leftovers of the 2009. This note is from the second night.

2009 was a hot year in the Northern Rhone. On the first night, when tasted along with other vintages, it showed less structure than I saw this second night. The nose was reticent but on the second night, the palate was more open with florals, bright fruit, with a peppery edge. A delicious finish and contributed to an excellent meal of my leftover cassoulet. I have a couple of bottles, and think it will be just fine in a couple of years.
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 2009 Pierre Gonon Saint Joseph

by Jenise » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Here we go again on the same wavelength. I've never tasted a Gonon, but after finding out last week that a friend has attempted to round up every loose bottle on the west coast, I went looking for the wine that made him do this. After discovering that it's a Kermit Lynch import, I put out a call to a friend who distributes it. Maybe I can get in the back door. Oh! There goes an email from him! BRB.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Okay, here's the news: We have 18 bottles of the 10, and a little over two cases if the oliviers blanc. 39.90 for the red.

I better grab some of that '10, huh. Did you try the Olivers blanc?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:30 pm

It's a KL import, yet they don't carry it in the store! I don't quite understand that, and I ask about it each time I'm there. Good luck finding it. I buy it from Chambers St. Wines, and they probably sell out as soon as the email goes out for pre-orders.
Diane
no avatar
User

Diane (Long Island)

Rank

Wine guru

by Diane (Long Island) » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:33 pm

Jenise wrote:Okay, here's the news: We have 18 bottles of the 10, and a little over two cases if the oliviers blanc. 39.90 for the red.

I better grab some of that '10, huh. Did you try the Olivers blanc?

I tried the 2011 Blanc- you have to like Rhone whites. I'm not a fan, but this one could work with a nice goat cheese tart, but the '10 rouge is excellent. Buy!
Diane
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm not a fan of Rhone whites either. They're usually a bit flat for me; that said, last week I had a 2010 Jaboulet white Crozes Hermitage that was outstanding--very much like a very high quality cool vintage California chardonnay in fact. Unfortunately it's not for sale here in the U.S.

I'll place an order for the red.