The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: In which I think "Never again!" to St. Cosme

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: In which I think "Never again!" to St. Cosme

by Jenise » Sun May 19, 2013 2:38 am

Once upon a time I bought six bottles of 2003 St. Cosme Chateauneuf du Pape. They were fairly inexpensive, like $22 ea, and that plus the winery's good reputation among certain of my friends must have convinced me I'd like them enough at that price even though I basically sat out the 03 vintage in the Southern Rhone. At that time we had never owned St. Cosme before, possibly had never tried any--not sure now.

Anyway, I opened one of these maybe three years ago and found it staunchly tannic and unyielding, so didn't open another till this past week. Popped and poured, the impression on this latest bottle was at first winningly youthful, but the tannins seemed to double in intensity with every sip and before we could get halfway through the first glass, the wine had become undrinkably tannic. The alcohol was also pretty seriously on display, too. We put the remainders back in the bottle and opened something else. 36 hours later I tested what we'd set aside and found the same aggressive tannins chomping the heels of oxidative, pruney fruit. Horrible--and I have four more bottles? Ouch.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: WTN: In which I think "Never again!" to St. Cosme

by Dale Williams » Sun May 19, 2013 8:01 am

Ouch. 2003 is rough in Rhone for my tastes, I have a few bottles of various CdP that I bought because they were cheap and now think they weren't cheap enough. To be fair to Chateau de St. Cosme, the estate's reputation is based on Gigondas (and to a lesser extent CdR), I think CdP is a recent addition (with St Cosme acting as a negociant, don't think they have CdP vines). I generally find their single vineyard Gigondas very well made if a little oaky for me. I'll occasionally buy the Cotes du Rhones (Les Deux Albion is mostly Grenache I think, the "basic" is all Syrah).
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Sun May 19, 2013 9:45 am

I have a few bottles in the cellar but no CdP. Bought what I do have based on a really good 2002 Cote Rotie I had 2-3 years ago. Looked at the cellar tracker notes for the 2003 CdP and they show some variance that could be bottle variance or style preference but tannins are noted a lot.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sun May 19, 2013 10:00 am

Their basic entry level wines are pretty decent at the $10 to $12 range. I wouldn't pay any more for them though.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun May 19, 2013 10:03 am

Like their Gigondas, but their negotiant wines are not to my taste.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 19, 2013 11:26 am

Dale Williams wrote:Ouch. 2003 is rough in Rhone for my tastes, I have a few bottles of various CdP that I bought because they were cheap and now think they weren't cheap enough. To be fair to Chateau de St. Cosme, the estate's reputation is based on Gigondas (and to a lesser extent CdR), I think CdP is a recent addition (with St Cosme acting as a negociant, don't think they have CdP vines). I generally find their single vineyard Gigondas very well made if a little oaky for me. I'll occasionally buy the Cotes du Rhones (Les Deux Albion is mostly Grenache I think, the "basic" is all Syrah).

Didn't realize that difference on the CdR's, so thank you for that. I have both in magnums from a later vintage and will keep that in mind when I choose one or the other--I know I've kind of liked the LVA but not so much the other.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon May 20, 2013 12:32 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Like their Gigondas, but their negotiant wines are not to my taste.

X2!
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Mon May 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Never tried their Gigondas or CdP, but we did enjoy a couple of recent vintages of the "basic" Syrah CdR.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach