The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Kefraya (Lebanon)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2006 Kefraya (Lebanon)

by Jenise » Mon May 20, 2013 12:20 pm

When I saw a bottle of this locally, I just had to try it. With no other idea what to expect, of course I expected something that reminded me of Musar. But it didn't, not at all; it reminded me of a good Bordeaux Superior. It was very much that profile of savory flavors and absent sweetness, it just didn't have as much complexity or concentration as the big boys. At seven years of age it's perfectly in its moment with resolved tannins and some interesting secondary/maturity development showing. Very entertaining for $25 locally.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

Re: WTN: 2006 Kefraya (Lebanon)

by Saina » Mon May 20, 2013 4:07 pm

I think I've tasted wine from every winery in Lebanon. Sadly Musar is unique.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon May 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Otto wrote:I think I've tasted wine from every winery in Lebanon. Sadly Musar is unique.

That's what I've understood, so I was actually more impressed than I expected to be. Just wasn't expecting Bordeaux, that's all!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Mon May 20, 2013 7:35 pm

Otto wrote:I think I've tasted wine from every winery in Lebanon. Sadly Musar is unique.

And not easy to find. And now expensive when I do find it. I miss the old days of when I could get Musar at the local Lebanese place for a song. Now all they sell is the Hochar and they charge more than they use to for the Musar.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed May 22, 2013 4:38 pm

Jenise wrote:

That's what I've understood, so I was actually more impressed than I expected to be. Just wasn't expecting Bordeaux, that's all!

Actually much of the "better" non-Musar wines are made from Bordeaux varieties and in a pretty oaky, but savoury style. If you can get Ksara's Cuvée 3ème millenaire, that's another that you should try, but also fairly Bordeauxesque.

BTW, since Kefraya make several wines, which was this that you tried? Was it the one with this label: https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/l ... ne=1547884
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Thu May 23, 2013 2:06 am

Otto wrote:
Jenise wrote:

Actually much of the "better" non-Musar wines are made from Bordeaux varieties and in a pretty oaky, but savoury style. If you can get Ksara's Cuvée 3ème millenaire, that's another that you should try, but also fairly Bordeauxesque.

BTW, since Kefraya make several wines, which was this that you tried? Was it the one with this label: https://www.cellartracker.com/classic/l ... ne=1547884

Otto, that is it. You can see her tasting note there for the 2006.
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri May 24, 2013 1:29 am

Otto wrote:

Yes, that's the one.