The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Seven wines

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

WTN: Seven wines

by Florida Jim » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:35 am

2005 André et Michel Quenard, Chignin:
Another set of Quenards (the Savoie seems to be overrun with them) making lovely wine that is reminiscent of pinot gris on the nose with a bit of apple mixed in and reminiscent of grüner on the palate less the spiciness. All and all, a lightweight, bright, vinous wine with charm and detail. About $13; I’d buy it again.

2003 Dumol, Chardonnay Chloe:
Oaky, viscous and pedestrian; should be $10, not $60. I’d not buy it again.

2004 Droin, Chablis Les Clos:
Unbalanced, oaky, sour and unpleasant. About $45; I’d not buy it again.

2005 Harrington, Pinot Noir Gap’s Crown:
Started thin but gained weight in the glass and became more candied. And why any pinot weighs in at 15.8% is beyond me. Price unknown.

2001 Poiera:
Solid, velvety and complex; not profound but certainly enjoyable. About $30; I’d not buy it again at that price.

2004 Ostertag, Pinot Blanc:
Very flavorful and enjoyable with excellent acidity and good depth. About $14; I’d buy it again.

2004 Dom d’Aupilhac, Montpeyroux:
Mouvèdre 30%, carignan 28%, syrah 25%, grenache 12%, cinsault 5%; spicy, round in the mouth with a worsted texture, good depth, savory aromas and lots of staying power. A friendly wine with or without food and has the substance and balance to cellar awhile. Really good and just $15; I’d buy it again.

Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

Re: Seven wines

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:51 am

We had the Albrecht Pinot Blanc on T-day with much the same results. It's an excellent wine in the hands of a good Alsatian winemaker. The best part is that it's always good qpr. At $9.99, our bottle definitely was a "buy again" on the FJ scale. Nice notes as always.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:16 pm

I like the way you end each note with whether or not you'd buy it again with a view toward value. That's really what it all comes down to, isn't it, whether or not the wine was worth it's cost.

The Poiera--not familiar. What was it, and where is it from?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Florida Jim

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:27 pm

St. Pete., FL & Sonoma, CA

by Florida Jim » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:24 pm

Jenise,
The Poiera is red Douro wine from the house of Jorge Nobre Moreira and is made from traditional port grapes, except that it is vinted dry and unfortified.
My 'system' is stolen; a guy named Zachary Pearson developed it on another board but, since he is in the business, he gave it up (I assume it was deemed inappropriate for such employment) and I, being the bottom-feeder that I am, swiped it.
The spoils of cyberspace, if you will.
Best, Jim
Jim Cowan
Cowan Cellars
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:52 pm

I remember Zach. He was part of Tracy's old tasting group in Dallas, IIRC. Anyway, even if it's not original, I like it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:47 pm

James Roscoe wrote:We had the Albrecht Pinot Blanc on T-day with much the same results. It's an excellent wine in the hands of a good Alsatian winemaker. The best part is that it's always good qpr. At $9.99, our bottle definitely was a "buy again" on the FJ scale. Nice notes as always.

James, which vintage?
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:39 pm

Jenise wrote:I remember Zach. He was part of Tracy's old tasting group in Dallas, IIRC. Anyway, even if it's not original, I like it.

Jenise, 'points be damned" Jim's system, even if he didn't invent it, is the only one that really counts. At the end of the day what I really want to know is whether you would buy it again at the price you paid.

Bob, I believe we were drinking the Albrecht 2005 Pinot Blanc. It was great stuff.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:34 am

Florida Jim wrote:Jenise,
The Poiera is red Douro wine from the house of Jorge Nobre Moreira and is made from traditional port grapes, except that it is vinted dry and unfortified.
My 'system' is stolen; a guy named Zachary Pearson developed it on another board but, since he is in the business, he gave it up (I assume it was deemed inappropriate for such employment) and I, being the bottom-feeder that I am, swiped it.
The spoils of cyberspace, if you will.
Best, Jim

Interesting piece about the Douro on Jamie`s website, check at...........

http://www.wineanorak.com/douro/newdouro20041.htm