The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Felsina tasting in private home on Nantucket

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

WTN: Felsina tasting in private home on Nantucket

by JC (NC) » Tue May 28, 2013 10:59 pm

This tasting was in the home of an artistic couple--the husband is a sculptor and painter and the wife owns an art gallery on Nantucket. The home was planned to be a setting for art with two-story atrium and lots of light coming in from tall glass doors and windows. They also had a sofa made from a Greek open boat as a central piece of furniture in the great room. The tasting started late and progressed slowly--it was supposed to be over at 2:30 PM and I had another event at 3:00 so had to leave before tasting the Vin Santo and only got a couple sips of the Maestro Raro (Cabernet Sauvignon). The presenter provided us with fancy booklets about Felsina vineyards and wines which I can refer to in the future (photos of vines, buildings, maps of Tuscany, etc.)

2008 BERDARDEGNA CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA 100% Sangiovese grapes A traditional vintage in a somewhat elegant style.

1999 LIBRARY VINTAGE RANCIA Rancia is a former Benedictine monastery. The Rancia had a stronger nose than the Berdardegna, one that I did not find particularly attractive. Leggy, a bit of earthiness; perhaps better on the palate than on the nose.

2008 FONTALLORO AND 1998 LIBRARY VINTAGE FONTALLORO. I found the 2008 Fontalloro to be very smooth with cherry and raspberry notes. The best grapes from the best vineyards go into the Fontalloro. Some of the vineyards are just outside the Chianti Classico region so it cannot be labeled as a Chianti Classico.

2007 MAESTRO RARO 100% Cabernet Sauvignon grapes. I found this very pleasant and wish I had had a few minutes to study it but had to leave by taxi for the next event. This was the 20th vintage of Maestro Raro.

The last wine to be poured was a 2003 Vin Santo del Chianti Classico D.O.C. which I didn't have a chance to taste.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

Re: WTN: Felsina tasting in private home on Nantucket

by Tim York » Wed May 29, 2013 7:03 am

Wow, you certainly seem to have has some interesting tastings at private homes on Nantucket. You seem to be less of a fan of Fèlsina than I am, but I think that those wines were too young to be showing their best except the 99. What is Library Vintage? I've never heard of that before.
Tim York
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed May 29, 2013 7:26 am

I am surprised by this. I'm a huge fan of Felsina, and generally find them to be very clear and clear expressions of Sangiovese, even with age.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Wed May 29, 2013 6:11 pm

Library vintage was how it was described on the handout. I think they just meant that it is not a current release but one they have kept back and cellared for awhile. I do like the Fontalloro and have some in my collection (1995, 2003 and 2007.)
no avatar
User

Andrew Bair

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:16 pm

Massachusetts

by Andrew Bair » Wed May 29, 2013 9:47 pm

Thank you for the notes, JC. I like the Felsina wines a lot, and have never had an opportunity to try the Maestro Raro. The standard CCR has not always impressed me in the past, however, to the extent that the basic CC and the Rancio have. For what it is worth, the 2003 Vin Santo is excellent in my opinion.

Anyway, it has been ages since I have been to Nantucket - I don't do well with boat rides.