The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Joy Lindholm

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:41 am

Denver, CO

Re: Wine Focus for June: Bouquet of Rosés

by Joy Lindholm » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:40 am

2012 Bieler Père et Fils Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence "Sabine" - 50% Syrah, 30% Grenache, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 13.5% abv.

This is my go to summer wine - we buy at least 2 cases a year and usually struggle to make them last through the summer! Light salmon in color, very dry on the palate with tart peach, nectarine, strawberry and watermelon rind notes with a touch of minerality. Perfect wine to sip while grilling; pairs well with a variety of foods, including vinaigrette based salads, fish, vegetarian fare, and cheeses. Also makes a killer rose sangria!
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

by Shaji M » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:23 pm

2012 Unti Vineyards Rosé:
83% Grenache and 17% Mourvedre, this is a very pale pink wine with hint of orange in it. It has a floral nose with citrus , dry with bracing acidity, it was a great match for stir fried pork! I have two more bottles left and I feel with the really hot days ahead, they will be put to good use.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:01 pm

2012 LE PONT BANDOL ROSE', PROVENCE. REVOIRE ET FILS. Labeled as 13% abv. Pale salmon color. Dry, nicely tart fruit somewhere between pink grapefruit and unripe strawberries. In the current lead for my favorite rose' of the month. I no longer have the bottle and I'm a little unclear as to whether the last name is Revoire or Ravoire. CellarTracker has it in other vintages as REVOIRE so that is probably correct although a web search came up with Roger Ravoire who has a fine wine business in the Rhone and Provence under the name Ravoire & Fils.
no avatar
User

Gary Kahle

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 27, 2012 9:08 am

Traverse City, MI

by Gary Kahle » Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:36 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:
Gary Kahle wrote:After an extensive search for 2012 Pink Pegau I found some at PLCB store in Scranton. Who would of thought? Anyway, it was sorta worth the search and a pretty good Rose but I wouldn't include it in my top tier. It's pale peach, not much nose and decent flavors in the mouth. I would place it somewhere behind; Annibals, Bargemone, Villa des Anges and Lancyre. Don't expect to find it in MI, OH, KY, or CT (I looked).
Cheers, Gary

When were you in Kentucky? And where?

Bob, I haven't been in KY this year. I let my fingers do the walking. Most of my info came from the HPS office. They sold most of the Pink Pegau in just a few states (CA, NJ, PA, MO, IL, ?) and i guess J et R didn't get any. Not much made.
Gary
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:29 pm

2012 Chateau d'Oupia MInervois Rose' Languedoc, France. Louis/Dressner Selection from Cave Taureau in Durham, NC. Paid $12.99. Synthetic cork. Labeled as 13% abv. Grapes used in Minervois reds are similar to southern CdP wines. I don't know the actual varieties and percentages in this wine. A pale coral color. Tart berries--some pomegranate and some melon. Also hints of rose petals on the nose. Pleasant but not compelling. Went counterintuitive and paired this with a ground beef casserole. I think it would pair better with ham, pork, or grilled chicken or chicken salad. I will open either a Muga Rosado or a Tavel rose' today to finish off this month's focus.
Previous