The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '85 St. Estephe

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: '85 St. Estephe

by Dale Williams » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:14 pm

Last night Betsy made filets in a shallot/vinegar/cream sauce, with braised leeks and barley. I opened the 1985 Ch. Haut-Marbuzet (St. Estephe). Very very round, fully resolved tannins and very low acidity. Fruit is all red plums and currants. Medium-bodied, ok finish. Some aromas of cedar and leather. This is probably a little tired, but I think age is less a problem thant the lack of acidity. I know '85 is supposed to be a very ripe low-acid vintage, but wines like Haut-Brion, Cheval Blanc, L'Evangile, Ducru, Leo-Barton, Cos all seem to have enough acid to balance. Even the somewhat California-esque Lynch-Bages has more acid than this. Pretty unexciting, I'll be generous with a B-.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.