The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: On the cheap (Texier, Bojos, etc.)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: On the cheap (Texier, Bojos, etc.)

by Saina » Sat Nov 25, 2006 4:19 pm

Blandy's Alvada 5YO Rich Madeira 20% 16€ / 500ml

A nice enough drop: coffee and rancio, yet not very volatile. Rather soft acidity for a Madeira, fine sweetness and balance. Simple but pleasurable.

Texier Côtes du Rhône Villages Chusclan 2004 12,5% c.4€ ex-cellar

A curious nose of cinnamon - almost like gingerbread dough! With air, minerals and some dark toned fruit came out also. The palate is moderately high in acid, mineral, dry, light and persistent and fresh. I like it. I don't think many others will, however as it doesn't have much fruity stuffing.

Texier Côtes du Rhône Villages St. Gervais Vieilles Vignes des Cadinières 2003 13% c.5€ ex-cellar

There aren't many 2003s that I can say are acidic, but this is. It does have a touch of raisins to the fruit which betrays it as being from a hot year, but otherwise the intensity and savouriness speak of a cooler vintage. I like it.

I made a small tasting for people not into wines where I intended to highlight the difference between Bojo Nouveau and Bojo Proper. I failed ... because Drouhin rocks! Their Nouveau wasn't bad enough to highlight it properly.

Drouhin Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau 2006 12,5% 9€

F**k me! This smells like a proper Bojo! It's a bit peppery and mineral, it has fine raspberry-like fruit - sure, it's a simple wine, but it isn't offensive and it isn't estery/banana-like/bubbelgummy. The palate lacks substance, but is clean and finished dry but very, very short. Much, much better than the reputation of Bojo-Nouveau would have me believe!

Drouhin Moulin-à-Vent 2004 12,5% 12€

I've written so many notes on this - one of my favourite cheaper wines - that I won't bother again. Nice stuff, losing the tartness that marked the 2004s earlier on. This was of course much more complex and interesting than the Nouveau.

Brown Brothers Dry Muscat 2005 (S-E Australia) 13% 9€

Sweetly mineral nose. Dry, but rather too full bodied palate with the 8g/l RS not noticable except in that it emphasises the full bodiedness and roundness - but it is not at all sugary. Dry, pleasantly savoury finish. Nice.

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Marc D

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:44 pm

Bellingham WA

Re: WTN: On the cheap (Texier, Bojos, etc.)

by Marc D » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:53 pm

Drouhin Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau 2006 12,5% 9€

F**k me! This smells like a proper Bojo! It's a bit peppery and mineral, it has fine raspberry-like fruit - sure, it's a simple wine, but it isn't offensive and it isn't estery/banana-like/bubbelgummy. The palate lacks substance, but is clean and finished dry but very, very short. Much, much better than the reputation of Bojo-Nouveau would have me believe!

Otto - I tried this last Tuesday night and it was the poster child for the banana bubblegum yeast smell. I don't remember it saying Beaujolais-Village Nouveau on the label, though. Maybe there are 2 different wines, or we get a different export version. It reeked of Bananas!

Did you get to visit Texier's cellars? I noticed the ex-cellar listed on the prices. I would love to hear more about that visit.
Marc Davis
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:15 pm

Marc D wrote:Otto - I tried this last Tuesday night and it was the poster child for the banana bubblegum yeast smell. I don't remember it saying Beaujolais-Village Nouveau on the label, though. Maybe there are 2 different wines, or we get a different export version. It reeked of Bananas!

Did you get to visit Texier's cellars? I noticed the ex-cellar listed on the prices. I would love to hear more about that visit.

Marc,

They're different bottlings. The labels are the same except for the text under the arc in the "modern" painting on the label, where it says very clearly in big red letters Bojo Villages Nouveau.

I haven't been to Texier, sorry. They were looking for an importer into Finland and I referred Eric to a friend of mine who imports wines. My friend kindly invited me to taste some of the Texiers. Just to be clear: I don't get a cent out of the arrangement, but was happy to taste the wines (and impressed enough that I'd like to buy a sample case from them if possible).

-O-
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:40 pm

Otto, any sign of the T-shirt!! Ian just got his.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:59 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Otto, any sign of the T-shirt!! Ian just got his.

Not yet Bob. I'll let you know when I do.