The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Be aware of friends bearing gifts (Veuve, Leroy)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Be aware of friends bearing gifts (Veuve, Leroy)

by David M. Bueker » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:03 pm

In what has quickly become a welcome tradition, Karl Wee dropped by today to share some wine.

I baked up a fresh focaccia, and we drank a mid-day toast with:

1985 Veuve Cliquot Rosé
Salmon pink with a slightly gold tone. Cherry and truffle, toast and a barely vegetal tone that went away with air. Rich and full-bodied on the palate, with a delicate mousse and excllent pesistence of flavor. Laura and I have never been Veuve fans, but Karl served this blind, and we were won over.

A quick side note: I thought this wine showed much better with about 45 minutes of air. People tend to open and the quickly guzzle Champagne before moving on to the "real" wine. In my opinion, Champagne frequently needs air just as much as other wines. This bottle benefited from air, and I find things like Salon, that show very caramelly on opening, gain lots of fruit over an hour or two. End of side note.

Showing great generosity, Karl also brought:

1980 Maison Leroy Savigny-les-Beaune Les Marconnets
Slightly rusty ruby color. Lovely nose of rose, cherry, earth and truffle. The fruit deepened over time. Tart cherries on the front end, but richer through the mid-palate with good acidity and plenty of finishing strawberry and cherry fruit. A delicious experience that we were privleged to share. For those who know my wife, it will come as the highest compliment to this wine that she had not one, not two, but three sips, and proclaimed it even better on the third sip than the first.

Thanks so much Karl!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: WTN: Be aware of friends bearing gifts (Veuve, Leroy)

by Bill Buitenhuys » Sat Nov 25, 2006 5:16 pm

People tend to open and the quickly guzzle Champagne before moving on to the "real" wine.
Good point, David. We had a NV Gatinois (Ay GC) a few weeks ago that peaked somewhere around 6 hours after opening. The youthful exuberance mellowed and the richness of the flavors really came forth.
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:06 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Laura and I have never been Veuve fans, but Karl served this blind, and we were won over.

What really is up with Veuve? It seems that the ones I've tried have had an overpowering yeasty stink to them which I found really off-putting. Yet I constantly read nice reports on their older wines. Do they really transform from ugly ducklings into swans with age? Or has there been a change in the way they are made?

-O-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:24 pm

The Veuve rose is always good IMHO. I have always found the other Vruve to be just okay. I am always wondering what the deal is with Veuve. The rose is the only one of their NV champagnes that tells me what may have been and no longer is.
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:42 am

Otto, I think it is just the general consensus that Veuve's (non-LGD) bottles have gone downhill from sometime around 1990 on.

David, I sure would be on the lookout for such a friend - especially if he lives 15 minutes from me!

Best,
Joe

BTW, just looked at Veuve’s website, I suggest everyone go see the Clicquot Cellar Box so we can mock it together.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:16 am

JoePerry wrote:I suggest everyone go see the Clicquot Cellar Box so we can mock it together.

I don't need to look. Their advertisements say it all. Drink Veuve Cliquot and be ever so fabulous.
no avatar
User

Karl Wee

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:37 pm

Massachusetts, USA

by Karl Wee » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:30 pm

David,

Thanks again for hosting and the TNs. That was a great visit!

Joe,

Yes, we should meet up some time, a bit closer to home than Connecticut. Give me a holler and we'll see if we can set up something after work.

Karl
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 pm

And always remember that I make a living out of driving to offlines!