The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Bouissiere Gigondas and a Q re Potel-Aviron

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

WTN: 1998 Bouissiere Gigondas and a Q re Potel-Aviron

by Dave Moritz » Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:52 pm

La Font de Tonin bottling. We opened this for Thanksgiving, and to find out how it was doing in the cellar. Conclusions: Not very good with turkey, etc., and it needs at least another year or three on its side.

Upon opening, almost nothing on the nose. Very ripe primary fruit on the mid-palate. A pronounced spiciness as it opened over time. Still some significant tannin and acid to resolve. Long finish. A bit chunky in this showing, but I suspect it will be glorious at the right time.

On another note, a local wine shop has a very good selection of cru Beaujolais by Potel-Aviron. The importer is Wildman. I'm tempted to spring for a mixed half case. Would like to hear of anybody's experience with this producer in recent years.

Thanks!

Dave Mo
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 1998 Boussiere Gigondas and a Q re Potel-Aviron

by Jenise » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:31 pm

Dave, thanks for the heads up. I'm sitting on some Boussieres too. Btw, I revised your sub title to improve your chances of getting a catch on the Potel-Avirons.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:01 pm

Thanks Dave for the Gigondas update.

As to Potel-Aviron, my impression based on only a couple of samples is that they are quite like Nicolas Potel's Burgundies:
1) more modern than traditional, but not over the top
2) fairly fruit forward, but with a bit of structure
3) not at the level of the best artisanal growers, but better than most of the equivalently priced negociant wines
4) often well priced.

If a real Beaujolais geek like Florida Jim can chime in, I'd suggest putting more stock in their view than mine. :)
no avatar
User

Dave Moritz

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:50 pm

Baraboo, WI

by Dave Moritz » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:40 pm

Jenise:
Great edit on my subject line! Thanks. However if I could impose upon you for one more edit: I misspelled Bouissiere in the subject line (argh!). I'd appreciate it if you would modify it for me so that it ends up correctly spelled in the tasting notes data base.

Dale:
What little I could glean from a web search confirms your impressions. Many thanks for passing them on!

Dave Mo