The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: BonnyDoon DEWN Marsanne '94...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: BonnyDoon DEWN Marsanne '94...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:18 pm

Tried this this weekend w/ my LemonCurd/Chevre Oreos:
1. BonnyDoon DEWN Marsanne SantaClaraCnty (14.2%; RS: 13.5%; SaH: 24Brix ---> Expressed juice: 37Brix) 1994:
Med.dark brown/bronze color; very intense grapey/rotted apples/orangey/fruit cocktail/canned peaches/passito slight smokey/caramel/creme brulee rather complex nose; soft quite sweet grapey/passito/orangey/fruit cocktail/peach syrup slight tangy/bitter bit creme brulee/caramel complex flavor; very long intense fruit cocktail/grape compote/orangey/grapey/passito some bitter/creme brulee complex finish; tastes like the bitter burnt sugar crust atop creme brulee; a good example of a Calif passito wine; no Marsanne character whatsoever; quite an interesting dessert wine that should go on another 10 yrs.
Passito wines are a genre that I wish they'd pursue much more in Calif. They can be made any number of ways. You can simply leave them on the vine until they're super ripe (LateHrvst). You can harvest them and ay them out in the sun (on the ground or on palettes) to dry, like PX. You can harvest them and leave them on trays (straw mats in olden days) in the wnry and blow hor air over them to dehydrate. You can go along the vines when the grapes are ripe and clip the arms bearing the grapes, leaving them to dry on the vine. I expect you could even RO the juice to concentrate.
But I wish there were more being made in Calif...they can be truly exceptional dessert wines. And the varietal character seems to be lost in the process.
Tom
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: BonnyDoon DEWN Marsanne '94...(short/boring)

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:35 pm

More people in the Niagara area, both sides of the border, are now making Cab Franc ice wine. I haven't tried one yet.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Well.....

by TomHill » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:38 pm

Howie Hart wrote:More people in the Niagara area, both sides of the border, are now making Cab Franc ice wine. I haven't tried one yet.

Well, Howie....I've tried maybe 4-5 of them. They're really quite good w/ a lot of cranberry character. Not sure how they'll age, though.
Tom