The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: MariettaCllrs OldVineRed Lot59 NV..(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: MariettaCllrs OldVineRed Lot59 NV..(short/boring)

by TomHill » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:36 pm

Tried this w/ Susan this weekend:
1. MariettaCllrs OldVineRed (Lot#59; 13.5%; mostly Zinfandel; www.MariettaCellars.com) Chris/Jake/Scot/Sam Bilbro NV: Dark color; strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/plummy bit licorice/DrPepper light oak bit earthy/dusty nose; soft rich/plummy/blackberry/boysenberry/Zin DrPepper/licorice/pungent/earthy light oak flavor w/ light/smooth tannins; med.long spicy/DrPepper/licorice strong blackberry/boysenberry/Zin/dusty light oak finish w/ modest tannins; a delicious uncomplicated spicy Zin at a great price. $14.00 (SFW&S)
1. I have...ahem....followed the Marietta OldVineRed from the very start.....Lot#1. Though I don't recall that those early ones were actually numbered w/ a Lot#. They have been consistently good over those early yrs...though I felt that they started losing the strong Zin character because of more Carignane and other stuff there in. I probably gave up following them at Lot#28 or some such.
Since there are lots of changes afoot at Marietta (and LimerickLane) since Jake & Scot bought out their father, Chris, and set him out to pasture (not really...I expect he gives the boys a word or two from time to time); I thought it was time to revisit OVR and #59 was the current one.
This #59 was even better than I recall any of the earlier Lot#'s being. Jake&Scot now own the old GibsonRanch (formerly McDowellVllyVnyd), one of Calif's great vnyd treasures. I suspect there are some GibsonRanch grapes in this Lot59. It speaks very strongly of Zin and isa stupid/silly price for a Zin this good.
I would comment, though, that the Marietta WebSite (www.MariettaCellars.com) is pretty lame. It's pretty devoid of any real content. They could do better...much better.
Tom
no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

Re: WTN: MariettaCllrs OldVineRed Lot59 NV..(short/boring)

by Jim Grow » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Hey Tom, I have been following the Marietta Lot series since #4 on and off and find that they vary between Rhonish, Cabernetish and Zinish caracteristics but always a good QPR. I have mostly moved beyond but on occasion enjoy an Old Vine Red. I was always amazed at how they could put out these wines at about 2-4 per two years.
no avatar
User

Jon Leifer

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:34 pm

Re: WTN: MariettaCllrs OldVineRed Lot59 NV..(short/boring)

by Jon Leifer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:46 pm

makes me feel kinda old..I go back to Mrietta OV #8 or 9 and now they are up to #59..wow, where has the time gone?
Jon