The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Qupe BienNacidoCuvee '11...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Qupe BienNacidoCuvee '11...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:59 am

Tried this last night at dinner:
1. Qupe BienNacidoCuvee SantaMariaVlly (67% Chard/33% Viognier; 13.5%; Dedicated to HankKievit/godfather of Qupe 2/16/21-6/16/07; www.Qupe.com) 2011: Med.light gold color; rather toasty/buttery/nutmeg/oak quite fragrant melony/apple/Chard slight floral/Viog/carnations/spicy attractive nose; somewhat tart some buttery/toasty/oak ripe/melony/honeydew/Chard slight floral fairly rich/lush slight tangy/lemony flavor; very long rich/ripe/lush melony/honeydew/Chard/lemony light floral/Viog some toasty/buttery/oak light tangy/lemony finish; resembles a lot a lighter/more aromatic QupeChard w/ lowered oak level w/ a slight floral lift from the Viog; a very attractive/pretty Chard-Lite at a very good price. $20.00
The distributor of Qupe in NM does a pretty miserable job w/ the Qupe wines. They're still selling the '09 CentralCoast Syrah here. This is the first new Qupe I've seen on the shelves here in NM in almost two yrs; so thought I'd try it...even though I knew it would be good. Alas, the NM distributor never brings in the higher-end Qupe's it seems.
Even though Bob was exiled to Parker's woodshed some 3-4 yrs ago (where he happened to join SteveEdmunds) for making medicore/unthrilling/uninspired wines that lack the gobs of hedonistic fruit that Parker admires; I think Bob's wines have just continued to get better and better as his Sawyer-Lindquist vnyd across from JohnAlban as come online. His BienNacido Hillside Syrah and Roussanne are two genuinely profound Calif Rhones; as good as any made. And they age amazingly well. They just lack that "gobs of hedonistic fruit" factor that many like in Calif wines.
Tom
no avatar
User

SteveEdmunds

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:05 am

Berkeley, CA

Re: WTN: Qupe BienNacidoCuvee '11...(short/boring)

by SteveEdmunds » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:29 pm

thank gob!
I don't know just how I'm supposed to play this scene, but I ain't afraid to learn...