The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Austrian Riesling from outside my comfort zone

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Austrian Riesling from outside my comfort zone

by Dale Williams » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:23 pm

Betsy picked up some Schaller & Weber smoked pork chops, served those with a savoy cabbage/porcini/pancetta side and sweet potatoes. I was thinking Alsace Riesling, but instead popped an Austrian Riesling, the 2004 Graf Hardegg "Steinbugel" Riesling (Weinviertel). I tempered my expectations, as my dry Austrian Riesling experience has been mostly Wachau, Kamptal, Kremstal, and I have a vague notion that Weinviertel is not as respected. This ended up being pretty nice. Dry but with a sweet note to the lemon and peach fruit, rather intense minerality, decent finish. There's a (pleasant) light note of pine, but the stony minerality is dominant. Good acidity. This is a little lacking in concentration and length vs. a really top flight Riesling, but for the level it's quite a decent wine. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: Austrian Riesling from outside my comfort zone

by Randy Buckner » Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:40 pm

Wachau, Kamptal and Kremstal is considered by many to be the top region in Austria, with Riesling and Gruner Veltliner being their top wines.

Weinviertel is Austria's largest wine district and their strength lies in the Gruner Veltliner. I can't speak for their Riesling. They also make a pretty nice Pinot Blanc (Weissburgunder).