The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: TreViti Chard '08...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: TreViti Chard '08...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:50 am

My case arrived ystrday, so tried right off the truck:
1. TreViti Chard Anno di Lucia StoloFamolyVnyd/SLOCnty (14.2%; www.TreViti.com) Stephen R.Dooley/SLO 2008: Med.gold color; strong ripe/creamy/melony/Chard some pencilly/oak/butterscotch slight mineral/chalky/saline rather perfumed quite attractive mature nose; rich/ripe/lush bit tart/saline/mineral/tangy strong melony/Chard/ripe some pencilly/oak/popcorn bit mature/nutty very interesting flavor; long tart/tangy/saline/metallic ripe/melony/Chard some pencilly/oak/popcorn slight nutty finish; a fully mature Chard that should go out another yr or two; a steal at $12.00
1. StoloFamilyVnyd is located way out in Cambria a few miles from the Pacific. One of the coldest vnyds in Calif (Derbyshire just a bit to the North may be even colder). They grow Syrah/Pinot/Chard and now GWT/SauvBlanc. The wnry & tasting room was completed and opened about a yr ago. I've been a big fan of their wines since I first tried them several yrs ago. Original winemaker was SteveDooley. With the opening of the wnry in Cambria, the asst winemaker (forget her name) at Talley as taken over winemaking duties.
On my last visit to Paso for NEB4, I decided a visit to see MariaBenetti was due. Alas, they were sold out of the latest Syrah, but they had this '08 Chard marked down to $12/btl. I tried it and liked it a lot, so ordered a case. They probably still have some left. The wine is a fully mature example of cold-climate Chard and in no danger of emminent collapse I think. Good stuff at a great price.
Tom