The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Alsace Gewurztraminer,Pfalz,Cal,Michigan

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: Alsace Gewurztraminer,Pfalz,Cal,Michigan

by Jim Grow » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:52 am

2005 Paul Zinck Gewurztraminer V.T. This Alsace white was medium amber in color with good acidity, Quite sweet with little rose petal but lots of poached pear flavors. I was hoping this V.T. was more dry but my remaining bottle will be consumed as a dessert wine. 13%abv

2009 Paul Zinck Gewurztraminer was labeled a "4" in sweetness on a 0-8 scale and seemed more semi-dry than the previous wine. Great acidity with lots of rose petal on the nose and more spicey pear flavors. 14% abv

2005 Kurt Darting Rieslaner Auslese from Rheinpfalz and Durkheimer Nonnengarten was a real joy to taste with brassy golden color and spicey pear and grapefruit flavors. Viscous with great acidity to balance abundant sweetness, this wine had lots of life ahead and I wish I had more than a single bottle left. An absolute steal at $15. with crystals

2010 Claiborne & Churchill Gewurztraminer from the Central Coast of Cal. was a disappointment will dull white fruit flavors and insufficient acidity and without spice or rose petal notes. 13.5% abv

201o Camreon Hughes Lot 325 Meritage from Atlas Peak in Cal. was a very nice well-balanced Bordeaux blend from the Napa Valley with lots of red and black raspberry fruit and tannins in check. 13.7% abv

2011 Left Foot Charley Pinot Gris from Michigan and the Old Mission Penninsula and Tale Feathers Vineyard was a very nice white with good pear fruit and balancing acidity. Back label states the T.A. is 7 g/l and R.S. is 3 g/l with 13.5% abv I would buy again.