The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Q for (Ontario) Canadians & Finger Lake folks, Icewine?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Ed Draves

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:15 am

Q for (Ontario) Canadians & Finger Lake folks, Icewine?

by Ed Draves » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:55 am

Right now it's 62F in sunny Buffalo, I assume it's similar in the surrounding area. How will this affect the yummy Icewines from these 2 regions?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: Q for (Ontario) Canadians & Finger Lake folks, Icewine?

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:10 pm

Ed - It ain't winter yet! I'm not too sure about varieties other than Vidal, but Vidal has thick skins and tough stems, which make them ideal for hanging on the vines, although with prolonged hanging, strong winds with no leaves could knock some of the fruit off the vines. However, this is not necessarily a problem. If the whole bunches fall to the ground, they can remain there without being damaged. Varieties such as Riesling may develop botrytis. In '97, the year of an El Nino, which I believe we have this year also, I wanted to make ice wine from Vidal growing in a local vineyard. I purchased a half-row of grapes to be left hanging. The weather never turned cold enough, so finally I picked the grapes on January 2nd of '98 and simply made late harvest. A quick peek at the extended forcast has our area having highs in the low 30s and lows in the mid 20s Saturday through Tuesday - good time to put this year's vintage in the tool shed for cold stabilization. 8)
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Q for (Ontario) Canadians & Finger Lake folks, Icewine?

by Peter May » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:44 pm

Grapes for ice wine may be hanging on the vine into 2007 before picking -- the temperature needs to be minus 8C for three consecutive days before picking in Ontario