The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A couple of sweeties....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

OW Holmes

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Grand Rapids, MI

WTN: A couple of sweeties....

by OW Holmes » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:05 pm

Royal DeMaria Riesling Ice Wine, Ontario, 2003. About $60 Cdn for a 375. This is perhaps the best Ice Wine I have tried. I think there was a bottle of this at MoCOOL, but I missed it. The purest essence of Riesling, white fruit, mineral, and sweet without being the least bit cloying because of the magnificent acidity. Ultra nice finish to Thanksgiving dinner. I wish I could get more, but I don't think the nice folks at Royal DeMaria sell in Michigan. For those travelling thru Ontario near NOTL, however, this is a must-stop. The quarters are modest, but the pours are without cost, and they will pour almost everything they make - and all they make is really nice ice wine.

J.J.Prum Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinet, 2002. Low 20s, as I recall. Enjoyed with walnut encrusted walleye last night. Apples and Pears, and a little flower on the nose, and add in the mineral element on the palate. Great balance, wonderful mouthfeel, simply delicious. Light of body but sweeter than expected for a Kabinet, but sufficient acidity to offset and make it a very nice meal Riesling. Moderate length finish, very pure. For my palate, this is a benchmark wine. I can imagine it being longer, or older and more complex, and even slightly drier, but I can't imagine it tasting any better. This was poured right after opening, no decanting or extended air time required. I think (hope) I have another, which I will save for a few years. I wish I could find more.
-OW
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: WTN: A couple of sweeties....

by Randy Buckner » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:54 pm

I just tried a sparkling ice wine, a first for me. I think I'll post a note on it, what the hell....