The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Silver tasting in Edmonton, Alberta.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Silver tasting in Edmonton, Alberta.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:31 pm

Reception - 2003 Silver Vogelzang Viognier - $37.99

1) 2002 Silver Pinot Noir - $34.99

2) 2001 Silver 'Lake Marie Vineyard' Pinot Noir - $59.99

3) 2001 Silver 'I Tre Figli' - $54.99

4) 2001 Silver Nebbiolo - $37.99

5) 2001 Silver 'Casa Blanca Vineyard' Cabernet Sauvignon - $45.99

6) 2002 Silver Syrah-Mourvedre - $37.99

I will post my notes and thoughts asap. Santa Barbara winery on the move!!
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 am

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Re: Silver tasting in Edmonton, Alberta.

by Mike B. » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:37 pm

See ya there tonight, Bob!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:05 am

Good tasting eh. Good to see you there Mike, Benjie is a very talented blender I`d say!!! Never thought the day would come when I would appreciate a Cab Sauv/Sangiovese blend!!!...or think of buying a $50 PN.
Do you wanna post some notes?
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike B. » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:31 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Do you wanna post some notes?

With pleasure. I really enjoyed the wines last night. Incredible stuff from a young winemaker.

2003 Vogelzgang Vineyard Viognier - Nose of honeysuckle and vanilla oak. Crisp, bright acidity and a creamy texture with floral notes and butterscotch on the palate. I liked this, but if it weren't for the acid, the oak would have ruined it for me.

2001 Lake Marie Vineyard Pinot Noir What a nose. Barnyardy aromas, plum, dark red fruits on the nose. Very spicey and earthy.

2002 Santa Barbara County Pinor Noir This is actually the Julia's Vineyard Pinot, but Benjamin Silver declassified it, as he had two vintages going on the market around the same time. It's going for about $35 Cdn, about half the regular price. Only 400 cases were made and 200 went to Alberta!

Much more fruit-forward than the Lake Marie. Ripe, plummy nose. There's a smokiness on the palate that Ben attributes to the grape, not the barrel. Muscular heft. It's a big pinot, but was an easy favourite of the night. I loved it, too.

2001 Sangiovese This must have been substituting for the Nebbiolo, which I was really looking forward to. Still, not bad for a California Sangio, with 5 per cent Cab Sauv. Black cherry and spice on the nose and palate, with a slight vanilla oakiness.

2002 Syrah-Mourvedre Santa Barbara County Along with the Santa Barbara Pinot, the most popular wine of the night. The Mourvedre vines are cloned from the Perrin family's Tablas Creek vineyard, which was orginally sourced from CdP.

This would stand up to any decent Rhone wine. Earthy, spicey and ripe blackberry with the gaminess of Mourvedre.

2001 Casa Blanca Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon This took some time to open up and flaunt its stuff, but once it did it was all good. Blackberry, plum, vanilla, chocolate, cloves, spices. The tannins were well balanced with the fruit - this is not a big oaky Californian Cab.

2001 I Tre Figli (The Three Sons) A blend of 50% Sangiovese, 45% Cab Sauv and 5% Cab Franc. "Rustic" is how one person described it, and I fully agree. The most tannic of the night's wines, it's got the stuffing to age at least a few years. There's a lot going on, with spices, dark berry fruits, chocolate and leather.

The Santa Barbara Pinot and Syrah-Mourvedre were the consensus wines of the nights, with the I Tre Figli and the Cab Sauv also receiving a few nods each.

Ben is clearly passionate about his wines, which he produces in very limited amounts (only 160 cases of the I Tre Figli). It was nice to hear a winemaker using words like "finesse" and actually demonstrate it in his wines.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:36 pm

Nice notes. Thanks for sharing.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:40 pm

JC, was a very good tasting. Look out for these wines!!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:05 am

Nice notes there Mike B and not much to add!! Hopefully forumites will be able to find some of these wines? The PN Santa Barbara Co. wine was a real bargain as you said and I really enjoyed the Tre Figli blend. Was not too sure about the Viognier, preferred the Garretson for future drinking. I seem to have missed out memory-wise on the Syrah-Mourvedre and was not as enthusiastic as some. I thought it was a very quiet crowd and little atmosphere. The agent should have picked up on this as he was sitting head of the table. The crowd last night for the champers tasting was awesome!!!
no avatar
User

Mike B.

Rank

Ultra geek

by Mike B. » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Bob, I seem to recall you saying you are all Mourvedre'd out from recent tastings for the forum. I can certainly see that happening. It's a good grape, but one that seems better in moderation.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:06 pm

Me drink in moderation? No chance hanging around you lot.