The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

25 Most Influential Cocktails of the Past 100 Years

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

What about Vermouth?

by James Dietz » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:13 pm

Do you refrigerate your open Vermouth? How quickly does it go bad?
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

Re: 25 Most Influential Cocktails of the Past 100 Years

by Hoke » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:32 pm

Yes, you should.

Unfortunately, vermouth will start going noticeably dull and flat within about two to three weeks. It will last longer in the fridge.

A lot of bad drinks are made because of stale vermouth. Best idea is to buy small bottles, if possible.

(One of the frustrating results of living in a controlled state, where some bureaucrat committee of political appointees make the decisions, is in Oregon they arbitrarily decided that only the 750ml size of vermouth will be allowed. So we can't buy 375mls. But they did make one exception: they allowed Carpano Antica. Which was a liter bottle.)
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:17 pm

Well done, Walt! You did a super job in these chronicles and it's great to see such lively cocktail banter.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Great to see you Bill, imagine cocktails in Phoenix this Xmas?
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Bob, there are cocktails in PHX most every day! Come on out for a visit.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:35 pm

A bump up of this thread for the Jaunty Angle. This one blends rum and rye with a little Chartreuse, a little syrup, and some bitters. I made it with Ron Zacapa and the James Pepper 1776 rye. A very interesting and complex drink. You get the vanilla and caramel from the rum, spice from the rye, and a little bit of that herbal Chartreuse flavor lurking around the fringes.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:35 pm

An FYI: I spoke recently with a friend who works at Imbibe magazine. She was delighted to hear that Walt had taken the task of 25 in hand (and actually completed it, albeit in his own fashion). She said she was going to pass it along to her peeps at Imbibe. I gave her the website location.
no avatar
User

James Dietz

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Orange County, California

by James Dietz » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:01 am

Mike Filigenzi wrote:A bump up of this thread for the Jaunty Angle. This one blends rum and rye with a little Chartreuse, a little syrup, and some bitters. I made it with Ron Zacapa and the James Pepper 1776 rye. A very interesting and complex drink. You get the vanilla and caramel from the rum, spice from the rye, and a little bit of that herbal Chartreuse flavor lurking around the fringes.

Sounds awesome. How important do you think the specific choice of the rum is?
Cheers, Jim
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:26 am

James Dietz wrote:
Mike Filigenzi wrote:A bump up of this thread for the Jaunty Angle. This one blends rum and rye with a little Chartreuse, a little syrup, and some bitters. I made it with Ron Zacapa and the James Pepper 1776 rye. A very interesting and complex drink. You get the vanilla and caramel from the rum, spice from the rye, and a little bit of that herbal Chartreuse flavor lurking around the fringes.

Sounds awesome. How important do you think the specific choice of the rum is?

This cocktail needs a good, flavorful rum. Just how intense it needs to be depends somewhat on the rye used. The rye should add a good dose of seasoning but you don't want it to take over the drink. In the version I made, I thought the Zacapa and the 1776 (which are both quite flavorful) worked well together. The guy who came up with the drink recommends El Dorado 12 year rum and Russell's Reserve rye.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:13 am

Made a cocktail tonight called the Mother in Law. More properly, I made a bottle of Mother in Law. This is a bourbon based cocktail which, according to Ted Haigh (in "Vintage Spirits and Forgotten Cocktails"), was originally made as a bottled cocktail, kept behind the bar in a decanter and poured as ordered. Early recipes basically involved putting small portions of a several types of bitters, some simple syrup, some curacao, and some maraschino in a quart bottle and then filling the bottle with bourbon. I made a pint batch that involved the following (as per Mr. Haigh):

1-1/2 t. each of Angostura and Peychaud's bitters and Amer Picon (I used homemade "Amer Boudreau")

3/4 oz. each simple syrup, curacao (I used Cointreau), and maraschino

Fill up to one pint with bourbon

I think this is a pretty good example of a pre-Prohibition cocktail, involving relatively subtle flavoring of a strong base spirit. It comes off as sweetened bourbon with some bitter and orange notes to it, and is quite tasty. I won't have any problem going through this pint over the next several days.

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

Re: 21 Most Influential Cocktails of the Past 100 Years

by wnissen » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:51 am

wnissen wrote:Day 2: "Dry Martini" I'm not sure I buy this one as "influential," so much as ubiquitous. The blizzard of drinks called "martinis" bear little relation to the original.

Imbibe's recipe is for 5:1 gin to vermouth, stirred, but I decided to start with just a glass of shaken gin. After all, if the ultimate dry martini is one where the vermouth is just waved over the shaker, why not go all the way to "vermouth zero," to paraphrase the Champenois? Since I was using Tanqueray 10 gin, the result was delicious. A cheaper gin might not have been good, but I love the fresh, assertive herbal and citrus notes of 10. Having enjoyed a few sips, I then added the Martini and Rossi dry vermouth (the best that Safeway had to offer). The effect was dramatic. Just that 17% was enough to bring the herbal side to the fore, while not making the drink noticeably less strong. Good, but honestly I liked it better before. Being a wet martini kind of guy, I added more vermouth, up to 38% ( or a 5:3 ratio, if you prefer ). The slight sweetness in the "dry" vermouth showed itself, and I felt there was more balance between the different herbal notes of the vermouth and gin.
Walter Nissen
Previous