The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

News: No wine or iPods for North Korea

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

News: No wine or iPods for North Korea

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:22 am

Well, I guess <i>this</i> will teach 'em!

North Korea Will Be Denied IPods, Wine, U.S. Says
By Mark Drajem

Nov. 29 (Bloomberg) -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Il may soon find it difficult to sample the hippest California pinot noir, upgrade his dinnerware or download musician Jay-Z's latest effort.

The U.S. said it wants to ban sales to North Korea of products ranging from wine to porcelain china to Apple Computer Inc.'s iPods as it implements a United Nations ban on luxury goods for that nation.

In a State Department list provided to the UN, the U.S. said it also wants to ban the export of liquor, yachts, flat-screen televisions, tobacco products and sporting goods to North Korea.

Full story in Bloomberg News
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

Re: News: No wine or iPods for North Korea

by Randy Buckner » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:48 am

North Koreans are suffering famine, economic privation, and political oppression, and we are going to deny them IPods? This is so sad it is comical....
no avatar
User

Andrew Shults

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:32 am

Chicago, Illinois, USA

by Andrew Shults » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:12 am

Randy Buckner wrote:North Koreans are suffering famine, economic privation, and political oppression, and we are going to deny them IPods? This is so sad it is comical....

Actually the famine, poverty, and oppression are all pretty good reasons for targeting the sanctions on luxury goods. State money that could buy food for the masses is diverted to keep the powers-that-be (i.e. political and military leaders) in their luxurious lifestyle. I don't think the average North Korean can afford an IPod.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:17 am

I don't think the average North Korean can afford an IPod

That is the point I was trying to make (obviously poorly) -- they can't even afford food, much less electronics.
no avatar
User

Eric Ifune

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:51 pm

Las Vegas, NV and elsewhere

by Eric Ifune » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:27 pm

Kim and his cronys are will known for their indulgent lifestyle while the rest of the country suffers. He's supposed to be a big burgundy fiend. I see nothing wrong with the ban. It'll be more symbolic than effective but will give Kim another hoop to go through to maintain his position.