The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Some Puzzlers from the Recent WS...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Some Puzzlers from the Recent WS...

by TomHill » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Prefacing my queries that the WineSpec is not always/seldom the go-to source for wine facts: Reading thru the recent WineSpec (JoshJensen on the cover), I encountered these two puzzlers:
1. Referring to the 2011 Pinot vintage, TedLemon says "...many vnyds produced small, seedless, shot berries, a boost for the wine quality due to their large skin-to-juice ratio". My impression has been that shot berries are always inimical to quality wine and that was why they'er removed at the sorting table. Am I missing something here??
2. In the Campa de Borja article; JorgeOrdonez rejected some 9,000 cases of Borsao because from the latest shipment, "a viscous, oily mess had oozed out of the btls". Supposedly because the co-op had "not dosed the wine with enough sulfer before bottling". I can understand how a low SO2 level at bttling could produce an oxidized or high VA wine...but "viscous, oily". Am I missing something here?
Tom
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Re: Some Puzzlers from the Recent WS...

by Victorwine » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Hi Tom,
Totally agree with you “green shots” are tiny green berries that never really develop. What they are referring to are berries that do develop somewhat (ultra sweet, not quite as large as the other berries within the cluster). The term “shot” only refers to the “smaller” size berry (when compared to the other berries within the cluster).

Salute
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:01 am

Re the Borsao- just sounds to me like it refermented and then seeped.
no avatar
User

Ernie in Berkeley

Rank

Wine geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:58 pm

by Ernie in Berkeley » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: "viscous, oily mess", this is probably a bacterial infection that's usually called "ropiness", large strings of molecules that resemble, well, snot. Per Wiki:

Ropiness is manifested as an increase in viscosity and a slimey or fatty mouthfeel of a wine. In France the fault is known as "graisse", which translates to fat. The problem stems from the production of dextrins and polysaccharides by certain lactic acid bacteria, particularly of the genera Leuconostoc and Pediococcus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_fault#Ropiness
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:39 pm

I haven't encountered a ropy bottle of commercial wine in a while, but good idea. It's the "oozing out of the bottles" that I interpreted to mean seepage, which implies pressure.